How long have you been at it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well as it says on the tin.......Just wondered how long people have been cycling for & also if its not too cheeky, how old are you, as i get the impression that there's a really big age range on here which is fantasic !

I'm 44 & have been cycling now for.....oooh let's think, yep just over a week ha ha, got into it mainly to get fit & lose some weight but this last week has been a virtual revelation for me & i'm absolutely loving it !

I have a running background from a while ago & recently gave it another go but due to consistent injury problems i thought i'd give the cycling a go.

Thanks

Cyclist33

I'm 36 and got into grown up cycling in 2002 so actually thinking about it, next month is my ten year anniversary of buying my first bike!

Stu

Since I could balance on two wheels when I about 3 years old. I'll be 40 next birthday ^_^

Although, I only really got back into cycling in 2006 when I bought a new MTB. 3 MTB's later I moved onto road bikes, and three road bikes later I've never looked back.

Now the proud owner of a Cannondale CAAD10 and a Ribble framed commuter I built myself. I've also done two restorations as well in the past couple of years, both 1980's Peugeot's, one as a fixed gear and one as a modern resto/conversion.

I also do Parkrun on Saturday's and am considering doing next years Ironman UK :crazy:

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm 38 and I started cycling this time last year, just a few miles for fun and to work and back. Got my first "proper" bike at Easter this year and haven't looked back!

Davidc

Guru
We've been here before, but it's 60 and officially 51 years.

I wasn't allowed on the roads until I'd passed my Cycling Proficiency - and of course I never disobeyed my parents did I!

Cyclist33

Thought I'd do a Henry viii rundown.

2002-2007 specialized hardrock... Gave to my mum, stupidly
2006-2010 claud butler levante... Sold to buy a wii and alcohol
2008-2008 felt q720... Stolen after 1 month
2010-2010 norco VCR disc 4... Returned faulty after 1 week
2010-2010 gt avalanche 3... Sold after 3 months to make way for...
2010- present day Marin bobcat trail
2011-2012 felt z100 sold as aggravating a shoulder injury
2012- present day cannondale quick 3

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I started cycling at about 3 or 4 and very soon got rid of my stabilisers. I rode throughout my youth and teenage years. Had paper-round that had a delivery bike, with box on the front. When at college I commuted in and out and did a lot of miles first around Sunderland/Durham the Cardiff. Once finished my studies I got my first job and bought my own bikes (new road bike frame then MTB). I did at least 40-50 rides when not working.

In about '86 I got my 1st car and the cycling reduced. I still went out on the MTB weekly and did about 10-15 mile runs most weekends.

From about 2000 I went out less and less. I was commuting at weekends down to Leicestershire from work in Doncaster so didn't have the bikes with me at weekends or the time through the week.

From 2009 I moved down here and my riding started again. In the last 3 years I have started to increase my miles and improve my fitness. Together with the Cambridge Diet, this year, I've lost 4 stone and I'm feeling healthier than I have for many years.

My age?
I'm a young 55. 56 next month.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Did it a lot from around 1980 - 1991. When I was about 15 I stopped using a bike, as it wasn't cool :rolleyes:

Had a little dabble around 2005 and got properly back into it in 2008. Oh yeah, I'm 36 .

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Stopped cycling at about 14, at about 20 i commuted by bike for about 6 months then slung it in the shed.

At 29 i decided to get healthy, sorted my diet out, took up running, lost 6 stone, started cycling again being fitter but my bike was crap, bought my Giant hybrid at 30 and right away it was so much better. Im 32 now and I think ive left my cycling buddies behind in terms of my enthusiasm and aspirations for cycling :smile:

Top Bottom