How long have you been at it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never really stopped since jumping on my first bike at 6, starting cycling to school at 10, first mountain bike at 19, did a whole bunch of racing during my late 20's in the SAM series.

Moved to the US early 30 thirties and started racing again mostly CAT 2 XC with a few marathon events. Moved to Trinidad and raced there, plus started doing annual cycling vacations.

Haven't raced for a few years now, but thinking of getting back into it, aiming for CAT 1 by end of next year. Also I'm currently an officer on a local charity board where we work out ways to build and maintain mountain bike trails with donated cash.

So in all, and at 43, about 37 years on the bike.

carolonabike

I'm almost 52 and have always had a bike. I cycled regularly from my early to late twenties, slowed down from my thirties to mid forties (apart from the occasional cycling holiday and local trips along the coast) but started again seriously a couple of years ago. I now cycle more than I've ever done, I commute three or four days a week and am out nearly every weekend. I'm totally addicted.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As a lad I was never off a bike, then I pased my driving test! "I'll still ride to work 3 times a week..." Yeah, right!
Had a mountain bike down in Devon in the 90's, then when I moved to Cambs I lived on the job so only cycled about 1 mile a day.
I'd been hankering after a road bike for a few years, then I moved here last July and bought my Trek 1.5, for commuting andleisure rides. I was after something a little better, and the Mrs told me to get something nicer, but I was on a fixed term contract. I signed a big boy contract in May and went and got a Cube Agree GTC Di2. It's bloody lovely, though not a patch on my Raleigh Grifter or Raleigh Winner!
I turned 43 in July.... Prime MAMIL!

daSmirnov

29 now. Cycled since I was a kid, back in primary school would often do 10-15 mile rides with my mate around the countryside of Somerset and Dorset. Stopped during my teens, didn't ride the bike to secondary school as I was too afraid it would get nicked - so it was just the odd ride now and then. Started commuting about 3 years ago after moving, which makes up most of my miles nowadays.

D

Deleted member 1258

60 years young and in total I've been pedalling over 40 years, didn't cycle for most of the 1970's, rode motorbikes, but came back to cycling in the late 1970's and have been commuting since, been a club cyclist since the mid 1980's.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Seeing as my parents never learn'nt to drive, we either had to use public transport or ride bikes from an early age.I had a lapse in the late 80's when i did learn to drive but still kept a bike of some form and rode it every so often.Got back into proper enjoying cycling in the late 90's and have now built up a nice collection of bikes including an MTB,Hybrid and my wonderful Boardman fixie.The play cars have long gone when the kids arrived and now the garage is even more full of bikes of various sizes and colours ( mainly Barbie pink ! ) At the grand old age of 45 & 3/4's i am absolutly enjoying cycling even more than when i was a youngster and my girls are doing the same,all good fun

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Aged 35, learned to cycle when I was at university (18) as I didn't want to pay for bus fares. Stopped cycling after uni.

Returned to cycling in 2008 when I was sat in the daily traffic jam and a cyclist whizzed past in-between the two lanes of stationery traffic.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
50 and for 4years after 20 off.

50 and for 4years after 20 off.

And since what age have you begun to forget what you said, causing you to repeat yourself??

:tongue:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Seeing as my parents never learn'nt to drive, we either had to use public transport or ride bikes from an early age.I had a lapse in the late 80's when i did learn to drive but still kept a bike of some form and rode it every so often.Got back into proper enjoying cycling in the late 90's and have now built up a nice collection of bikes including an MTB,Hybrid and my wonderful Boardman fixie.The play cars have long gone when the kids arrived and now the garage is even more full of bikes of various sizes and colours ( mainly Barbie pink ! ) At the grand old age of 45 & 3/4's i am absolutly enjoying cycling even more than when i was a youngster and my girls are doing the same,all good fun
And the Barbie one is your favourite isnt it Skud?!?:laugh: Isnt that the one you came to Llandudno on??

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
On two wheels must be getting on for 52+ years. I had a trike and a scooter before that! Very seriously in my early teens, club member, lapsing somewhat late teens/20s, marriage, children, back into cycling - fixed wheel bike through my late 20s -30s, geared road bike in my 40s, increased activity since my 50s, joined club again and now cycling more than ever in my almost mid 60s. Now 3 road bikes and looking for n+1 :bicycle:

Top Bottom