How long have you been Cycling..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've been riding since I was 5. I raced BMX when I was a kid (back before it had been commercialized and stolen by adults!), the for a while whilst at university, living in the States, Japan and back here, I only really commuted. Because of the old C+ Forum, I bought a Kaffenback and started my interest in road cycling, and then because of friends, got a bit more into MTB too. I've been having a bit of a downer this year so not as much cycling as I would have liked, but... back on the bike next week and at least 25 miles a day, I hope.

So, 30 years in all, but less than 10 years in my renewed cycling history.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just over a Year

If I count it from when I really started to ride my bike to get places like school and friends, rather than just scratting about, then 30 years but with a few gaps.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Since I was 8 and my Dad bought me a rescue bike from the police pound and I used to pretend it was a horse. He was called Speedy Gonzales!! However I've been properly cycling for about 6 years and am still not sure I'm a proper cyclist!

I use to mess about on a bike when growing up however getting a driving license at 21 kind of put an end to that. 4 years later I moved to Ireland and nearly everyone in the office was doing it and after a year so was I. I spent the next 4 years a mixture of commuting/ leisure riding on a heavy Hybrid, all the time getting the bug :rolleyes: more. When I moved back to Scotland I got Sirrus (flat bar road bike) and bought myself a Bianchi last year. So I reckon about 7 years.

Renard

I was given a horrible 'Universal' catalogue bike by my FIL when he got a new one in August 2001. I remember him asking me if I'd been out on it yet a few times before I took the plunge and rode it a few miles out into the country. I remember the sense of achievement and freedom. It kind of gave me a similar feeling to hillwalking which was my previous active hobby and I've never looked back. It also inspired me to give up smoking after a couple of years so that I could get fitter and eventually joined a club and took up racing and proper mountain biking. For me cycling has been a really positive influence in my life.

yoyo

I finally learned how to ride when I was nine - suffered from dreadful clumsiness. Could drive a car when I was eight. Cycled to school and through all five years at university. Have had a break whilst the children were around and felt the roads etc were too dangerous to go out as a family of five. We did some long runs and all three commute to work / university - my old bike is well used in York by child no. 2. Four years ago, as the children became independent I got back in the saddle starting with son no.1's dreadful Appollo on which I cycled the K&A Canal from Hungerford to REading. This was closely followed by numerous 20-30mile local rides and a first tour on the DAnube in Austria. I repaired MrYoyo's old Galaxy as part of his Christmas present and he is now persuaded that we would manage 30 miles a day easily. Hopefully it is not too long before we go on tour - perhaps next year if I play my cards right. I think Antwerp, Brussels, Brues, Ghent would make a good start for us as it's flat and we like cities with interesting architecture and history.

buggi

Bird Saviour
5 years.

First started when my office moved 17 miles away. decided to do it as a way to get fit, bought a road bike (always had a mountain bike to tootle about on before but never did anything serious).

so spent two years commuting 2 or 3 times a week, then didn't do much for the 3rd year when i moved into my flat and spent the summer decorating, then decided to London to Paris in the 4th year, really got more into it, met more cyclists etc and now this is my 5th year.

really wish i'd took it up years ago.

Blue

Legendary Member
I got my first bike in the early 1960's. However, apart from doing a couple of triathlons in the mid 80's, I have never cycled for any reason other than basic fitness and pleasure. Having said that, since retiring 3 years ago I have taken to my bikes with a vengence.

mondobongo

Über Member
Started Mountain Biking 5 years ago and got seriously hooked and though I enjoyed the rough stuff always seemed to want to hammer it on any tarmac we came across. Sold my P7 last year and bought a road bike and absolutely love the speed of road riding which is were I will be staying.

Learnt to ride when I was 6, but then once I reached secondary school age, I only used my bike very occasionally, then it dropped off to zero. Bought a bike in Hellfrauds by accident two years ago, and I'm now slowly getting back into it...

Top Bottom