How long in primary position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
User3143 said:
Don't worry about car drivers behind you, after all it is only 2 miles @15 mph this is 8 minutes of riding, hardly a lifetime.
It could be what is left of yours if you tried to do that :angry:

Yes, you do have to think of yourself and try and prevent lunatic overtaking. The trouble is - holding up traffic for 2 miles/8 minutes is almost guaranteed to make some impatient twat do something really dangerous. Some people will not wait 30 seconds (the kind that scream past you and immediately brake to turn left, for example). It's all very well taking the moral high ground, but what use is it if you end up crippled or dead?

If I had any choice at all, I'd choose to avoid that stretch of road. If I had to use it I'd do a km or so flat out (to make the time that the impatient folk are waiting as short as possible, and also to send the message that I was doing my best to minimise the delay), then I'd pull over and smile at the first driver and wave him/her through.

I have a mate who would assume ultra-primary in this situation and slow down! His reaction when I pointed out how foolhardy this was, was to say "F**k 'em, they can wait!" Eventually doing that kind of thing, he'll encounter some psycho high on drugs, or a stressed-out bully and he'll end up as roadkill.

hackbike 6

Eventually doing that kind of thing, he'll encounter some psycho high on drugs, or a stressed-out bully and he'll end up as roadkill.

I do hope not but seeing the general behaviour out there I do not trust motorists in this country one bit.I have cycled in different countries and find their driving and patience much better.So good in fact that im generally not too worried about taking primary out there.No dangerous overtakes to save a few seconds.

DOCUMENTARY: Police, Camera, Action!
On: ITV4 (117)
Date: Tuesday 25th November 2008 (starting in 3 minutes)
Time: 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM (30 minutes long)

Safety Last. Series 1, episode 5.
Alastair Stewart invites viewers to take a front seat with police traffic forces throughout the country to witness some of the more extraordinary, alarming and often life-threatening behaviour recorded on our roads. This programme shows how emotions run high on Britain's roads and motorways, and how many motorists risk their own lives and those of others for the sake of saving a few seconds.
(Stereo, Repeat)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a listing from a programme I generally watch.

....Im watching it now and the amount of mobile phones being used whilst driving as well as reading or writing while driving is shocking.:sad:

Plus people are not that clever and it does affect their driving and road positioning/awareness.

ColinJ

hackbike 6 said:
Eventually doing that kind of thing, he'll encounter some psycho high on drugs, or a stressed-out bully and he'll end up as roadkill.

I do hope not but seeing the general behaviour out there I do not trust motorists in this country one bit.I have cycled in different countries and find their driving and patience much better.So good in fact that im generally not too worried about taking primary out there.No dangerous overtakes to save a few seconds.

DOCUMENTARY: Police, Camera, Action!
On: ITV4 (117)
Date: Tuesday 25th November 2008 (starting in 3 minutes)
Time: 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM (30 minutes long)

Safety Last. Series 1, episode 5.
Alastair Stewart invites viewers to take a front seat with police traffic forces throughout the country to witness some of the more extraordinary, alarming and often life-threatening behaviour recorded on our roads. This programme shows how emotions run high on Britain's roads and motorways, and how many motorists risk their own lives and those of others for the sake of saving a few seconds.
(Stereo, Repeat)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a listing from a programme I generally watch.
He was doing 30 miles of commuting a day by bike, and he finally had enough of "lunatics trying to kill [him]" so he emigrated to Spain :angry: He has chilled out a lot since then.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just remember that taking primary is usually enough to deter most of the stupid overtakes, but not all of them. More importantly still, it gives you space to duck left and correct for an idiot driver when you do get an overtake.

I would defo pull in at least a couple of times with 2 miles in primary, I think it would be taking the mickey otherwise.

p.s. primary is in the middle of the flow of traffic in your current lane, enough to own the width of that flow of traffic. It doesn't necessarily correspond to either road markings or the curb. Secondary is to the left near the edge of the road, and never less than 60cm from the edge. Mostly about 1m, but it does depend on the situation.

User3143 said:
In my opinion, this is pretty much bang on and good riding, although I don't think I would ride so close to the white line between the roundabouts as some idiot might try to undertake.

However I have never road that section of road and you seem to know what you are doing, and if you have no one try to undetake you. Then ignore the bit above:thumbsup:
Sorry, I didn't really make that clear: when I said near the white line, I meant sort of two thirds / three quarters of the way across the lane, as opposed to being in the centre of the lane .. I guess I'm kind of where the offside wheel on a car would be.

That bit of road is not ever so wide so there's not really room to go up the inside even if I were to ride on the white line (:o), but obviously it could be a problem on a wider road. I wait for the day when some nutter does try to go up the inside, though, even though they'd have to mount the kerb to do it. :rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
I really don't see how. I was refering to the OP taking primary, and if the OP was to take primary then the people who would overtake him, really would have to ''overtake'' rather then trying to squeeze through a gap.

Normally...(note normally), you'd be about right Lee. The trouble is 2 miles of primary in heavy traffic is multiplying the chances of meeting a poor driver enormously.
Most of us assume primary temporarily, maybe 50 or 100 yards or so. Even then, if you meet the wrong motorist, primary wont help you. Some drivers will take extraordinary chances with your wellbeing rather than wait for 5 seconds.
2 miles worth ????...not on your nelly.

Sorry OP, i'd find another route, or at least minimise the time i spend in the heavy areas.
Look on the bright side. If you can find a longer, quieter route....think of the extra enjoyment you'll get.

gbb said:
<snip>

Sorry OP, i'd find another route, or at least minimise the time i spend in the heavy areas.
Look on the bright side. If you can find a longer, quieter route....think of the extra enjoyment you'll get.
Yeah, I got so caught up in my roundabout example I forgot to mention that I chose my route to / from work with care to avoid the busiest roads and pinchiest pinch points. It's not the most direct route, so is 6.5-7.5 miles (depending which way I go exactly) compared to probably 5 miles if I went the most direct way.

BUT, the way I go gives me woods, lakes, a bridleway that avoids the dual-carriageway bypass and a couple of quiet-ish estates plus only a couple of bottlenecks. The extra couple of miles are a pleasure.

The direct route, on the other hand, would give me a long, straight but narrow road which is a 40-limit in a everyone does 60-70mph kind of way .. well it is straight after all and there's only a few houses, besides there's a strip of grass down the sides .. that'll do for the cyclists and peds :rolleyes:, followed by a few hundred yards of parked car gridlog mayhem though a village where you can almost smell the impatience. Finally, a couple of miles of rat-run estate road hell to enjoy: another nice narrow 40-limit road where most vehicles seem to do 50+

I like my route better.

ColinJ

User3143 said:
I really don't see how. I was refering to the OP taking primary, and if the OP was to take primary then the people who would overtake him, really would have to ''overtake'' rather then trying to squeeze through a gap.
I'm talking about lunatics who will not be stopped no matter what. I agree about the primary thing generally, I'm just saying that if someone 10 cars back isn't prepared to wait 8 minutes, decides to 'go for it' and then encounters an oncoming vehicle, do you think (s)he will choose a head-on collision or to swerve into the cyclist in primary to her/his side?

I was out on a winter ride a few years back and was descending the long hill into Hebden Bridge in primary position. There was ice and snow at the side of the road so secondary wasn't even an option. A stream of tourist traffic was coming up the hill and being held back slightly by a slowish car at the front. We're not talking cyclist slow here, probably about 25 mph. That was still too slow for someone at the back of the queue of cars. He poked his nose out, saw me and floored the throttle. (I know he saw me because I had a very bright front light on and he switched his lights full on and held his hand on the horn all the way towards me).

This maniac was prepared to kill me if I didn't get out of his way. I had no way to stop in time. I couldn't go to the right because of the other cars. I couldn't go left to secondary position because of the snow and ice. I basically had to stare down at the road to save what was left of my vision and aim my front wheel just right of the ice. The car missed me by inches.

If someone is prepared to do that to a cyclist coming towards them, I'm quite sure that they'd have no problem side-swiping one going in the same direction if they 'were in the way'.

I did suggest that if the OP couldn't avoid that road, then primary position was the way to go. I'm just saying don't expect all the drivers behind to wait the 8 minutes to pass through that section - they won't. Make some progress, then get out of the way. It doesn't matter what the rights and wrongs of the situation are - it's a case of what is least likely to get you killed.

I've just thought of another example. On The North West Passage audax a couple of years ago, I met an old guy who had just been knocked off his bike by a farmer on the A682 between Barrowford and Gisburn. That's a notorious stretch of road. It's scenically lovely, but it's narrow in places, has twists and turns and dips. If drivers used it sensibly it would be fine. Some don't, so it isn't. The old chap in question and his mates had been riding along when the farmer decided that he wasn't prepared to wait and overtook in his 4x4 round a blind bend. He encountered a truck coming the other way and swerved back in to where the cyclists were. Unfortunately, the trailer he was towing hit one of the cyclists and knocked him off the road. Fortunately he wasn't badly hurt.

Primary position protects cyclists from sensible motorists who can see when it isn't safe to overtake and don't. It doesn't protect them from idiots who can't and do!

hackbike 6

Primary position protects cyclists from sensible motorists who can see when it isn't safe to overtake and don't. It doesn't protect them from idiots who can't and do!

Aye and that's what worries me.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's all about playing the odds. Extreme nutters like Colin's ones are very uncommon, whilst the careless or pushy overtaker are quite common and better protected from by primary. Besides which, primary gives you the space to get out the way of the extreme nutter, which you wouldn't have had if you'd been in secondary. Of course that implies that you're watching, attentive, and thinking ahead, and take action when you see the problem start to unfold.

hackbike 6

[RANT]What gets me with this is how people go on and on and on about how you should ride and instead stop trying to dictate how everything should be done and try to accept that some people do things different.It is so boring and it puts me right off this board and ruins the entertainment value of this board.I should do this that.It really is a know it all bullcrap.

I have been thinking of not posting as im getting sick and tired of this now and all this know it all crap.The self righteous know it all brigade who have a so called right opinion of everything.
[/RANT OVER]

BTW im not changing the way I ride.

hackbike 6

BentMikey said:
Crikey Hackers. Every now and then you do go off on one!!

No-one's telling you how to do anything, or that you're a bad rider.

I just get tired of being told how it should be done etc etc....I think there is a time for riding primary etc etc.

Yes I did go off on one,sometimes it seems the only way to get a point across.I do not try to dictate how people should ride whether in primary or secondary as I know there are a lot of comedians out there.(motons)

I am just finding this board is ruining my enjoyment of cycling.Sometimes.

User3143 said:
eh?? FFS hackbike what's your problem, the OP has asked about primary and we have all gave our opinion. Some have backed this up by experience, real world examples and others have contributed. You don't like it, fine see you.

But this is common whether people are asking for advice or not though isn't it?

Top Bottom