How long should a bike frame last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
On the other ... we expect to get more miles out of frames than handlebars [think the manufacturers recommend changing every few years IIRC?]
Does anybody change their handlebars from fatigue concerns ?
In well over 50 years of owning bicycles I have never done or even considered this.

Drago

Legendary Member
In well over 50 years of owning bicycles I have never done or even considered this.
The bikes I use for training get ridden and (quite literally) thrown around very hard. Ive seen one complete failure on a students bike, and plenty with early warning cracks in the finish on other bikes, so I replace them every 2nd year. A lot of MTB racers do the same.

As for the rest of my bikes, nah, don't replace them. The chances of failure are less likely and my pre ride checks would, one hopes, catch it before it killed me.

Back in the 90s I crack detected (whiting and dye) a par of 20ish year old Cinellis and the stem, the results were pretty shocking, especially from the stem. Since then I change the bars every 10-12 years and use a steel stem if I can.

Gunk

Guru
People are happily riding refurbished 1960's bikes with all the original alloy components cleaned up and working perfectly.

This is a 1962 CB I restored last year and virtually everything on it was cleaned, refurbished and reused. Every component was as good as it was 60 years ago.

My aly folder snapped in two a year or so back, where I've marked it in orange:
1619664491781.jpeg

Bike was a over a dozen years old, but little used, just for trips away. Clean break right along the weld.

Had an old steel folder frame, so transferred a lot of the parts to this:
1619664541772.jpeg

I'm happy to ride an aly diamond framed bike, but would not like to own another aly folding bike.

Although I'm a porky 13 stone, I'm well within any weight limit. Can only put the failure down to fatigue stress, either through bad design, or badly welded. Anyway, glad to have come away unscathed :okay:

People are happily riding refurbished 1960's bikes with all the original alloy components cleaned up and working perfectly.
... and I've seen someone break alloy bars at 2am. Not "racey" lightweight jobs either.

50-year-old parts often work perfectly. And then they break. But not always.

mustang1

Guru
Aluminium does have a fatigue life but I would imagine a Spesh Allez' fatigue life is beyond anything a human can put it through (it ain't like those old airplanes that used to fall out of the sky due to fatigued rivets).

Btw, what's all this thing about steel is for life? It rusts and will fail. Aluminium does corrode but it bubbles over at the corrosion point and so there is no weakness that occurs.

In other words, I'd imagine an alu frame is for life and a steel frame could be.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Aluminium does have a fatigue life but I would imagine a Spesh Allez' fatigue life is beyond anything a human can put it through (it ain't like those old airplanes that used to fall out of the sky due to fatigued rivets).

Btw, what's all this thing about steel is for life? It rusts and will fail. Aluminium does corrode but it bubbles over at the corrosion point and so there is no weakness that occurs.

In other words, I'd imagine an alu frame is for life and a steel frame could be.

Both welded steel and Aluminium frames (not an expert on carbon fibre or titanium) will fail in fatigue eventually. If either are well-designed, they will not fail before the rider does.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats the point. If it outlives the customer it will have achieved its purpose, so it could be made from dung and bark and it will have succeeded if it lives a day longer than the purchaser.

All material will eventually degrade if left long enough, or in conditions conducive to its degradation, regardless of whether is used or not. Heat, cold, cycles of heat and cold, moisture, environmental chemicals, radiation, solar radiation, they will get everything eventually. Every material from metallic hydrogen through to oganesson, every possibly conbination, mix or alloy, without exception.

That being the case, the only sensible measure is whether it is likely to fail as a result of the use to which it is put. The ability of these materials to withstand the forces encountered during use are really down to an appropriate design and construction for any given material, rather than the material itself.

mustang1

Guru
Reading some more posts, it reminded me of when the alloy bars on my bike snapped. BUT I had loads of warnings, over several weeks in fact. I could clearly feel being in the bars but this Muppet thought he was getting stronger, alas the bars were telling me swap them.

Top Bottom