How long should a bike frame last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Both steel and welded frames have finite fatigue lives, but depends partly on how good the welding is, but mostly on how stressed it is.

Also have a Specialized Allez from 2009 ish. It has done me stirling service over commuting and long distance rides, and is still in one piece. Unlike this one:

My old Peugeot failed at exactly the same spot after about 7k miles of my ownership. At the time I put it down to me being heavy and mistreating it but I've seen a couple of steel frames fail the same way and now think that there was probably a stress riser at the bridge which caused it.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have seen this frame thing discussed before and it always causes dis-agreements.

Thing is sure Alum has a shelf life with fatigue, but some of that depends on the rider and conditions, if you hit every pothole and have the seat stem on the limits you for sure are going to stress things out.

With mine it’s Alum sure at some point I will look to change the frame but I like the bike it’s comfortable and it makes me smile, I don’t give a rats that it’s a 2016 bike, doesn’t mean I will abuse it though, I could replace it but I fall into the category of people that look after things and try and make them last as long as possible, the bikes always wiped down if it needs it and the drive train is kept clean and lubed, one of my main routes has a shared ped/cycle path that undulates a lot as it has entrances for fields and drive ways, anything like that I come off the saddle so I don’t transfer all my weight through the frame, and I can flex my knees to take some stress out.

Also as has been said before cost is subjective.

If you want a really good metal fatigue analysis get YellowSaddle on here, he knows his stuff.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My old Peugeot failed at exactly the same spot after about 7k miles of my ownership. At the time I put it down to me being heavy and mistreating it but I've seen a couple of steel frames fail the same way and now think that there was probably a stress riser at the bridge which caused it.
Indeed. Have a good look at BS7608 or the TWI book "Fatigue Design for Welded Structures", but sadly you will need to pay for them. Welding introduces stresses in the parent metal as well as the weld itself which turn a material with an infinite fatigue life into one with a finite one. So expect a fatigue crack to start either in a weld or at the weld toe.

In my industry we tend to regard anyting over 10^7 cycles as practically infinte, but if you have the equipment, funds and patience, it will crack under any stress.

I like Cannondale aluminium frames I have had a three, I have one of their Carbon offerings at the moment which is a fantastic ride, I was hit by a car on an aluminium Cannondale the carbon forks broke in half but the frame was ok,

I wonder what the age of the oldest surviving Cannondale aluminium frame still being ridden is.

And if your wondering.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/aluminum-vs-aluminium
i've got one broken down (ie bits taken off) in my garage.
ally, welded in the USA I'm pretty sure.
welds are beautiful and put more modern welded "pie crust" ally to shame.
But I've gone off ally.
and dale's weakness was all too often some non standard interfaces between frame and bits.
So I am putting my faith in stuff to outlive me in good old fashioned Ridgeback quality steel.
I have 3 90s ones.
The 4th one has only been retired after a rack mount broke off but the frame is still fine and I could always have doubled up the frame/guard mounts.

edit - remembered I have a near mint 5th one but have decided that the size isn't me - must sell.

Last edited:
I have seen this frame thing discussed before and it always causes dis-agreements.

Thing is sure Alum has a shelf life with fatigue, but some of that depends on the rider and conditions, if you hit every pothole and have the seat stem on the limits you for sure are going to stress things out.

With mine it’s Alum sure at some point I will look to change the frame but I like the bike it’s comfortable and it makes me smile, I don’t give a rats that it’s a 2016 bike, doesn’t mean I will abuse it though, I could replace it but I fall into the category of people that look after things and try and make them last as long as possible, the bikes always wiped down if it needs it and the drive train is kept clean and lubed, one of my main routes has a shared ped/cycle path that undulates a lot as it has entrances for fields and drive ways, anything like that I come off the saddle so I don’t transfer all my weight through the frame, and I can flex my knees to take some stress out.

Also as has been said before cost is subjective.

If you want a really good metal fatigue analysis get YellowSaddle on here, he knows his stuff.
Of the 4 common materials, only aluminium has flex memory and over time fails due to metal fatigue. No amount of wiping will help, it the nature of material. The only way to stop fatigue is not to use it or use it sparingly. It is however great while it last and best value for money and affordable.

Agree on the Yellow saddle though.

Both steel and welded frames have finite fatigue lives, but depends partly on how good the welding is, but mostly on how stressed it is.

Also have a Specialized Allez from 2009 ish. It has done me stirling service over commuting and long distance rides, and is still in one piece. Unlike this one:
View attachment 585860
Steel bikes if well constructed and maintained to stop rust will last a lifetime. Hence it is popular for custom build and popular with uni students who can only afford second hand and then sell it on when they complete their studies.

Johnno260

Veteran
Of the 4 common materials, only aluminium has flex memory and over time fails due to metal fatigue. No amount of wiping will help, it the nature of material. The only way to stop fatigue is not to use it or use it sparingly. It is however great while it last and best value for money and affordable.

Agree on the Yellow saddle though.

haha I wasn't suggesting cleaning it helps, just meant it in terms of looking after something in this case the paint.

Like you said sooner or later it will fail, but you can take steps is all I meant, smashing into potholes etc and having the seat stem to the max won't help was all I was trying to say from a fatigue pov.

And like you said it's great value for money.

I have seen CF take a what I would call a light hit in the wrong place and fail.

My next bike I would like to last me a few years next time I feel a replacement is due, I have been looking at Reilly Ti frames from Brighton.

haha I wasn't suggesting cleaning it helps, just meant it in terms of looking after something in this case the paint.

Like you said sooner or later it will fail, but you can take steps is all I meant, smashing into potholes etc and having the seat stem to the max won't help was all I was trying to say from a fatigue pov.

And like you said it's great value for money.

I have seen CF take a what I would call a light hit in the wrong place and fail.

My next bike I would like to last me a few years next time I feel a replacement is due, I have been looking at Reilly Ti frames from Brighton.
There is no looking after an aluminium frame unlike a steel frame. The nature of the material causes flex and hence metal fatigue as long as you use it
No argument on CF, it cannot handle impact. It is the lightest material and used for competition and fitness training.

Ti is the best, hence life time warranty for frames from manufacturers. As bike geometry is more or less the same for a human being and Ti does not need paint work it will look good and you only upgrade the groupset. Its a keeper. Hence very little on the second hand market.

Johnno260

Veteran
There is no looking after an aluminium frame unlike a steel frame. The nature of the material causes flex and hence metal fatigue as long as you use it
No argument on CF, it cannot handle impact. It is the lightest material and used for competition and fitness training.

Ti is the best, hence life time warranty for frames from manufacturers. As bike geometry is more or less the same for a human being and Ti does not need paint work it will look good and you only upgrade the groupset. Its a keeper. Hence very little on the second hand market.

CF I have no desire to own, it's overkill for my requirements.

Ti I would like and to be honest when I want/need to replace my current bike I will have a good look at Reillys show room.

Steel bikes if well constructed and maintained to stop rust will last a lifetime. Hence it is popular for custom build and popular with uni students who can only afford second hand and then sell it on when they complete their studies.
Possible some may decide they like cycling around and keep them?
Personally I prefer second-hand steel over new ally.

Top Bottom