How long should a bike frame last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Whilst out cycling today, if anything like me, you think of many random things.
As the miles slowly clicked by i got thinking how long my alloy Specialized Allez frame could potentially last before failing.
I seem to be averaging around 5000 miles a year along the road and it's now seen the best part of 17000 miles in total.
From my limited technical knowledge, i roughly understand aluminium has limited fatigue resistance compared to a steel frame bike, which will eventually end in the alloy bikes frame cracking.
Saying that though when i was a kid my two friends both had brand new bikes for Christmas. They were both identical steel framed racer bikes called Sun Solo and after around 7 months the light blue paint changed distinctly to a different shade were the cross bar met the head set tube within weeks of each other until one day, one of them developed a crack in the said place. They both got swiftly replaced by the manufacturer.
Back to my bike as an example, if i continue to use it as i am at the same level how long should i expect the frame to last before it eventually fails. It's a difficult question to answer, but there's got to be a given point as to when it would fail.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you look after it, a long time. 3 steel bikes around 30 years old and an alloy full sus thats about 5 years old.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

My touring bike has done over 50,000 miles, but it's steel

Drago

Legendary Member
It really is as Numbnuts suggests - a piece of string. Certainly a lot of alloy frames can feel 'dead' and uninteresting after a while, and the same with older alloy motorcycle frames (modern alloy perimiter beam frames are so rigid it doesn't really factor). But with so many innumerable variables involved its really impossible to say.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Exactly, how long is a piece of string. I suppose you've got to factor in the general road conditions, riders weight and how aggressive that person is in there cycling style, but there's got to be some sort of general window as to when a frame would eventually fail mileage wise🤔 I'm kind of roughly hedging my bets it would be anything from around 50k to 70k on an alloy bike like mine..(I'll let you know in 100 years time 🤣🤣)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's interesting to read. What exactly broke on the frame. Did it happen due to normal wear and tare or was it abused or in an accident. 👍👍

Venod

Eh up
Just seen this on Yorkshire Cycle Sales, do you think he caught something twixt tyre and frame ? he wants £30, worth it for forks etc.

178669521_10158592209128717_6253685097651237034_n.jpg
177824394_10158592209228717_9161234688223780726_n.jpg

Shack

Are you a sympathetic rider? Not afraid of a bit of maintenance and general TLC? I've got a Raleigh Granada I've had since new in 87 and still super comfy, but it's the running gear and wheel hubs that are feeling their age, the frame (although incredibly shabby paintwork) still rides well and runs true.

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_193147957.jpg
    IMG_20210421_193147957.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 13

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most frame failures can be attributed to manufacturing or material defects, so are somewhat random in nature. Poor examples in any material tend to fail very prematurely, leaving the decently built examples to soldier on for years.
With Aluminium and Titanium frames, weld defects at fabrication are normally the root cause, as they are not tolerant of things like weld undercut or atmospheric contamination.
Steel tends to fail if clumsy use of cutting tools puts a stress-raiser into a tube during manufacture, which after repeated load cycles, can eventually cause a crack to propagate.
My 1991 Raleigh Pioneer frame failed at 28 years as a result of cracking at the point where the chainstays are slotted for the dropouts to be brazed in. The frame was scruffy when acquired and probably well abused. It's the only steel frame failure I have had.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not to mention far too much exposed sestpost. The upbulb if the failures ive seen over the years are just forawrd of the top tube/seat tube junction, and all had a huge length of seatpost acting as a lever. The modern trend for more comoact frame sizes doesn't seem to have helped.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not to mention far too much exposed sestpost. The upbulb if the failures ive seen over the years are just forawrd of the top tube/seat tube junction, and all had a huge length of seatpost acting as a lever. The modern trend for more comoact frame sizes doesn't seem to have helped.
indeed i have seen one and heard of a number of frames from one company that siffered that issue.My own alloy frames is 10 years old is still going strong apart from a repsray as the paint was tatty

Drago

Legendary Member
indeed i have seen one and heard of a number of frames from one company that siffered that issue.My own alloy frames is 10 years old is still going strong apart from a repsray as the paint was tatty
Because im a fat lardy git muscled hunk I always fit 400 or 450mm sear posts to spread the load, except on old frames like my Claud that are larger and have less expost post.

Top Bottom