How long should a bike frame last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1619402897572.png

1 is the best in the scale. Ti last a lifetime.
Frame characteristics ranked in terms of importance from weight to shelf life by manufacturers hence the popularity of aluminium and carbon.

Those who prefer custom build, shelf life go for steel. Those who want it all as best as possible go for Ti. Those who are into races and light frames go for carbon. Those who are looking for affordability, all purpose and commuting go for aluminium.

Then you have individual preferences and materials do have personalities. Any bike you like and feels good riding and to look after is the best bike.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Bit like triggers brush, bike frames can last forever even if damaged they can be repaired.

Have seen bikes over 100 years old and still going as good if not better than they would have when new, seen expensive carbon frames only a few months old involved in an accident and scrapped also seen a few alloy frames (think cheap bikes sold by a retailer ending in ford) cracking around the head tube, both i noticed where low cost road bikes and approximately 10 years old.

My own view is any of my bikes and i have quite a few could and should will outlive myself even if i only used any one every day.

In the 80s version of Richard's New Bicycle Book, he gives the example of thin-tube (ie equivalent to steel frame) alloy bikes. These might last a pro racer a year, but forever for the average rider, assuming no abuse. With the benefit of another 30 years history, maybe a tad optimistic...
My 7005 Scott frame is perhaps a little large for me, and the seatpost sticks out around 4-5 inches, so I'm never likely to break it there, and anyhow, it's a fat-tube design. The mileage I do means that unless there are hidden horrors from the original owner, I will have to be quite unlucky to break it. Having said that, my routes invariably involve cattle grids, so who knows?

Venod

Eh up
I like Cannondale aluminium frames I have had a three, I have one of their Carbon offerings at the moment which is a fantastic ride, I was hit by a car on an aluminium Cannondale the carbon forks broke in half but the frame was ok,

I wonder what the age of the oldest surviving Cannondale aluminium frame still being ridden is.

And if your wondering.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/aluminum-vs-aluminium

Last edited:
I've broken 1 frame at about 12,000 miles at the seat post join. It started squeaking and I couldn't work out why....bike shop found it though!!

We've got to remember that even 10,000 miles is a high achieved life for a frame. Most people will buy bikes and not ride them that much so a lot of the higher milage frames will be in the 1% of achieved life but well within the expected life.

simongt

Guru
All frame materials last a lifetime.
Having seen on some bikes and other products 'Warranty only valid for the original owner', make you wonder if said owner keeps said product for five years or fifty, will the warranty still apply - ? :whistle:I had a waterproof from a reputable maker with a 'lifetime warranty'. When the seam tapes began peeling off after a few years of moderate use but over ten years of ownership, I wrote to the maker and they admitted that the 'lifetime warranty' was in their view, ten years. However, they did send me a reel of seam tape - ! :tongue:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Both steel and welded frames have finite fatigue lives, but depends partly on how good the welding is, but mostly on how stressed it is.

Also have a Specialized Allez from 2009 ish. It has done me stirling service over commuting and long distance rides, and is still in one piece. Unlike this one:
IMG_0989.JPG

Top Bottom