How long should a cold last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A few days....blast it with Vit C and Zinc and loads of fruit and juice and RED wine......

Blonde

A few days to a week. Of course the sinus congestion can remain for a while after the virus itself has gone, so it's normal for hearing or balance to be reduced for a while longer, even if you don't feel ill anymore. Get some de-snotting tablets but dont blow your nose too hard. Try not to blow yer snozz much, unless it's really streaming, or you might rupture blood vessles and get a nose bleed, or a sinus infection - orange snot is a bad sign!

I had a cold for over a month leading up to Christmas. Dunno why it lasted that long. Normally I can shake them off in in a couple of days but this one just wouldn't quit.

Mr M put it down to me now being 30 years old. Yeah, thanks for that!!!!!!

Not sure taking the vitamin C works after you've got the virus - isn't it meant to stop it starting in the first place??

Blonde said:
A few days to a week. Of course the sinus congestion can remain for a while after the virus itself has gone, so it's normal for hearing or balance to be reduced for a while longer, even if you don't feel ill anymore. Get some de-snotting tablets but dont blow your nose too hard. Try not to blow yer snozz much, unless it's really streaming, or you might rupture blood vessles and get a nose bleed, or a sinus infection - orange snot is a bad sign!

Erm...how bad? And what should I do next?

col

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:
Erm...how bad? And what should I do next?

Dont worry, green means its all clearing out I believe? But if its worrying you take a trip to the docs.

Willow

One day usually for me, honey and lemon seems to fix mine - whole lemon, tsp honey enough hot water to dissolve honey (or put in microwave) drink down fast couple of times a day and hey presto.

BigonaBianchi said:
...i need to know 'cos this one is PISSING ME ORF.;):?:
Same here :biggrin: I thought I'd got rid of it at the start of the week but that was only a rest bite, its back again :sad:

A

another_dave_b

HLaB said:
Same here ;) I thought I'd got rid of it at the start of the week but that was only a rest bite, its back again :biggrin:

You probably didn't use enough self-pity. For the best results, you should always turn it up to 11 :?:

Blue

Legendary Member
The average cold is supposed to last a whole week if you don't treat it and only 7 days if you do treat it.

Blue

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
It seems to me that there are some non-average colds around lately, I had one last October that took me almost three weeks to shake off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, but, some will last less and some longer than a week if a week is the average!

Then again, there is also the fact that it's well known that it takes longer to shake an illness off as one gets older!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Top Bottom