How long should road tyres last ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
First..............I fully realise it is "how long is a piece of string" type question with so many "if this/if that" etc. but here goes........................
Tyres are bog standard Giant PSL1 700 x 23mm on a defy carbon.
Road use is normal as in a mixture of tarmac and tarmac/gravel.
I have them pumped to 85/90 psi.
I did 1100 miles last year and am planning to double that this year.
So...............
Forgetting p******s as I will never get one :smile:
Has anyone got ANY ideas at all how long/how many miles I should expect from them before replacing (as I have absolutely no idea).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends ...

On the commuter bike (running Schwalbe Lugano / Rubino's) I get 1000 miles off a rear and 1500 on a front, both at 110-120psi, due to the state of the roads in/out of Leeds.

The best bikes get Conti GP4000s when I get 2500 on a front and 1500 on a rear, running at 120psi.

Oh, and pump your tyres up :okay:

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I had very similar tyres to the OP on my defy 1 and got through the rear in about 1200 miles, I am a heavy but quick rider though so they get abused a bit.
Rubino's on a commute I'm looking at 1500-2000.

I'm usually fairly easy going on tyres, intend to pick my routes, and lines, carefully. I've binned a few tyres for being thread bare over the years, but rarely for premature damage. I've got up to 7000 miles from a set of Schwalbe M+, and slightly less from tyres with stickier compounds.

si_c

Guru
I've been using plain rubinos on my bike this year, been really good for general purpose riding, just replaced the front tyre after ~1800miles, and the rear tyre was replaced at around 1400miles. The front I replaced after I got a puncture, and inspecting the tread noticed some quite deep gashes, it was probably fine, but better safe than sorry. I'm running 23c at 120psi on the rear, 110 front, so similar to @helston90 and @DCLane

Top Bottom