How long should tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Michelin Lithions. Done over 2,000 miles now. No signs of wear and tear but don't want to tempt fate by not replacing them before doing the Maratona Dolomiti.

longers

Legendary Member
Don't tempt fate.

Renard

Schwalbe Stelvio lights. Done about 500 miles, I think? One is cut beyond repair and the other is already beginning to flatten off at the shoulders.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
longers said:
Don't tempt fate.

That's me convinced. I'm not going to ruin the ship for a ha'porth of tar. Or my expensive holiday for a £19.99* pair of tyres.

* That's what I saw a pair at in Decathlon today. A pair!

PS. Have you done your Morecambe to Scarborough ride yet? Me and my eldest son are doing ours this weekend. Well, not Scarborough but Filey, which still counts as a C2C.

monnet

Guru
2000 miles on them prior to the Maratona Dolomiti? I'd be putting some new ones on regardless of their condition. You can never be too sure etc. Just get a couple of hundred miles on them so they are in optimum condition for the big ride.

monnet

Guru
And in answer to your question, I usually get somewhere between 3-4000miles out of a pair depending on usage (commuting/training/racing etc), weather conditions and all the other variables out there.

With my winter bike I'd done over 3700mls before replacing but that was probably a bit late in my case. On my summer bike as I was doing an event, the Etape Caledonia I replaced my grand prix's a little premature at 2750mls. IME I'd get more out of them than 2000 miles but for that peace of mind its worth changing them before the Maratona Dolomiti, you've made the right decision.

john59

Guru
Schwalbe Marathons 2360 miles so far.

John

Tynan

Veteran
my last new tyre lasted three days, it went to Brighton on the FNRttC and lasted all of another six miles before have the side wall torn open by something unpleasant

I tend to replace fairly early and freely, at £10 a throw it's very much an 'if in doubt' call

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
john59 said:
Schwalbe Marathons 2360 miles so far.

John

Ditto but 2833 for me.

Out of interest at what point do you decide your tyres need replacing ... will it be if I start getting more visits from the fairy? I am assuming that I will replace them before I see the insides of them.

Top Bottom