How low are the reservoirs where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ours are at ground level.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Hanningfield reservoir near me is three quarters full.
What i don't understand is that essex is one of the driest counties in england yet we have no problem but further up north where it rains a lot more have had drought problems.Maybe it has to do with larger cities nearby.?

I think that Abberton and/or Hanningfield get water piped down from the Denver Sluice system on the Great Ouse.
It was originally built in the 60's and improved since. http://www.environmentdata.org/archive/ealit:4162

Apparently the workers cycled down the tunnel to work and back during construction.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Any locals to Ladybower?
Why is it still so low in mid November, i know the early part of summer was very dry, but it has been quite wet since August.
Are they doing some maintenance to keep it so low?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

I'm not being facetious but it's because we haven't had much rain. I live about 45 miles away in Lancashire and there hasn't been a great deal of rain in the general area. Last Sunday was the first time since the spring when I got wet on my bike.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Any locals to Ladybower?
Why is it still so low in mid November, i know the early part of summer was very dry, but it has been quite wet since August.
Are they doing some maintenance to keep it so low?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

Weather here (a station a few miles away) since August has not been wet at all. Not in the slightest. September had above average rainfall, but nothing special or particularly high. October another very, very dry month. 4 out of the last 5 months been insanely dry. A rare occurrence, not unprecedented but that sort of event happened 4 or 5 times (depends how you're defining it) the last 60+ years if you look back on records.

Not sure what the official explanation is, but a few miles from Derwent it's been very, very dry.

Globalti

Legendary Member

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a big urban header tank half a mile from us, which supplies the town of Blackburn. My neighbour lives at the foot of the hill and showed me the stream coming from the direction of the reservoir, which he says is leakage that they can't prevent. I'd estimate it at a litre a second of flow.

In Zimbabwe they had a drought. When questioned, the Minister responsible replied: "It's the fault of the British - they made the reservoirs too big."

colly

Re member eR
Eccup Reservoir just north of Leeds was down a good bit a week or so ago.

Linley was somewhat down in July:

SP_A0599.jpg

SP_A0602.jpg

Swinsty and Fewston a couple of weeks ago:

Swinsty doesn't look too bad:

20181031_122437.jpg

but it's fed directly from Fewston which is some waydown still.

20181031_123722.jpg

The spillway which feeds into Swinsty looks kind of forlorn:

20181031_123759.jpg

The reservoir further up the Washburn Valley is Thruscross. No idea how low that might be but at capacity it holds 7.8 million cubic meters

classic33

Leg End Member
Eccup Reservoir just north of Leeds was down a good bit a week or so ago.

Linley was somewhat down in July:

View attachment 439249

View attachment 439250

Swinsty and Fewston a couple of weeks ago:

Swinsty doesn't look too bad:

View attachment 439252

but it's fed directly from Fewston which is some waydown still.

View attachment 439253

The spillway which feeds into Swinsty looks kind of forlorn:

View attachment 439255

The reservoir further up the Washburn Valley is Thruscross. No idea how low that might be but at capacity it holds 7.8 million cubic meters

Thruscross, apparently has a capacity of 7842tcm / 1725.2 million gallons. And a hidden village.

Beneath those 1,725 million gallons of cloud-reflecting water are the remains of a church, cottages, a school, country lanes and garden walls.

The village of West End isn’t a mythical place. It existed until the start of the 1960s,when it was evacuated, its buildings largely demolished and the trees around it felled.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm not being facetious but it's because we haven't had much rain. I live about 45 miles away in Lancashire and there hasn't been a great deal of rain in the general area. Last Sunday was the first time since the spring when I got wet on my bike.

Also in Lancashire and we look out over open fields. By this time of year they are usually a mess with the cattle squelching around, up to their elbows in mud, every step an effort. This year the field is firm and dry with good clean grass and the farmer is happy because he's been able to leave the cattle out much longer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Also in Lancashire and we look out over open fields. By this time of year they are usually a mess with the cattle squelching around, up to their elbows in mud, every step an effort. This year the field is firm and dry with good clean grass and the farmer is happy because he's been able to leave the cattle out much longer.

Exactly the same in our area and after 70 miles round the Ribble Valley today I can say it's very similar there.

Top Bottom