How low are the reservoirs where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
We all know its been a dry summer but I was shocked to see pictures of the local Derwent/Ladybower reservoirs this morning. Having seen other smaller local reservoirs dry up, not having much rain and seeing the depletion of Ladybower etc over the last few months I still didn't expect to see it this bare.

Got me thinking what is your area like for H2O?

Screenshot_20180905-081509_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180905-081524_Chrome.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Most of the larger ones are 75% or over.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The pictures of Ladybower and Derwent dried up that Sky News keep using are from July. Been a fair bit of rain the last three weeks. Interesting though.

Be interesting to see what the 9 or 10 reservoirs around Stocksbridge were like.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Several in Yorkshire that we drove past last week were extremely low.

Hanningfield reservoir near me is three quarters full.
What i don't understand is that essex is one of the driest counties in england yet we have no problem but further up north where it rains a lot more have had drought problems.Maybe it has to do with larger cities nearby.?

MikeG

Guru
Anglia Water reports that all reservoirs are within normal levels. The drought followed one of the longest and wettest winters for years, so groundwater levels were high, and stored water levels were high, before the drought started.

Here are the actual figures, (rather than anecdotal evidence) from the Environment Agency. It is broken up into regions. These reports are updated monthly, so I guess the August figures will be out soon.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

MikeG

Guru
........they've installed 'huge pumps' to pump our water to drier parts of the country.:cursing:

If you've got a problem with that, maybe the gas suppliers should keep "their" gas in their parts of the country, too? And the power stations should supply only the villages that surround them.

Oh, and "someone told me".......... Yep, that'll stand up in court.

Top Bottom