How many are still working and what do you do?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In a way, the Covid-19 shut-down demonstrates how unnecessary much of the leisure and retail industry is.

Ironically the fact that car showroom salesmen, professional football players, professional cricketers, Formula 1, senior management and directors of marketing companies, design agencies, make-up and fashion designers and manufacturers and the like can all be put on furlough or 'work from home', maintained at 80% of their massive salaries by the UK taxpayer just shows how little they are needed...

How much needs to change?

How could these people be put to better use for the benefit of the world and its resources?

Discuss. :laugh:
They are the Golgafrinchans.

They are the Golgafrinchans.
Curiosity got the better of me and fmob, I'm in full agreement with you!

Fields Electric

Was furloughed last week until the end of June. Been treated like rubbish since joining this dept after 15 years. All those pushed out on ‘Gardening leave’ where the old ones! Otherwise been busy with those events that all us older folk have to deal with sooner or later. The other issue is trying to keep fit without the daily commute on the Brompton.

screenman

Legendary Member
In a way, the Covid-19 shut-down demonstrates how unnecessary much of the leisure and retail industry is.

Ironically the fact that car showroom salesmen, professional football players, professional cricketers, Formula 1, senior management and directors of marketing companies, design agencies, make-up and fashion designers and manufacturers and the like can all be put on furlough or 'work from home', maintained at 80% of their massive salaries by the UK taxpayer just shows how little they are needed...

How much needs to change?

How could these people be put to better use for the benefit of the world and its resources?

Discuss. :laugh:

Just seen this, I thought there was an upper monthly limit of £2500. Car sales people I know are not getting that much as they were only getting 80% of basic. Sales and marketing creates manufacturing jobs and vice versa.

Slick

Guru
Just seen this, I thought there was an upper monthly limit of £2500. Car sales people I know are not getting that much as they were only getting 80% of basic. Sales and marketing creates manufacturing jobs and vice versa.
There is but it's gross so 80% of your usual top line which could be then further reduced to £2.500 then the usual deductions apply.

I was interested to note a number of companies had vowed nobody should lose more than 40% of their wages so he may gave a point in that regard.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If £2500 furlough limit is 80% of someone's salary then they are on £3,125 a month= £37,500p.a. before deductions. That's a fantastic salary to be so unproductive in their day to day jobs that they can be put out to grass, and still get paid for doing nothing... considering there are at least 2m. key workers who don't even get the Living Wage who are working their socks off every week.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That's surprising because contractual commission is included in the furlough payment, at the higher of the average of the last 12 months, or the same month last year, so it could be argued that commission-based staff are slightly advantaged if anything.

screenman

Legendary Member
Tell me guys is tax and other stoppages due on this 80%.

screenman

Legendary Member
If £2500 furlough limit is 80% of someone's salary then they are on £3,125 a month= £37,500p.a. before deductions. That's a fantastic salary to be so unproductive in their day to day jobs that they can be put out to grass, and still get paid for doing nothing... considering there are at least 2m. key workers who don't even get the Living Wage who are working their socks off every week.

I agree with the minimum wage bit, not so the other bit.

screenman

Legendary Member
That's surprising because contractual commission is included in the furlough payment, at the higher of the average of the last 12 months, or the same month last year, so it could be argued that commission-based staff are slightly advantaged if anything.

They changed to that on the 17th April, my mistake.

Top Bottom