How Many Bikes Should A Cyclist Own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj said:
I for the life of me can't understand the need to have more than one normal, upright geared road bike.

Possibly because there is no such thing as a 'normal, upright geared road bike' anymore. Possibly because you have never raced or done any serious cyclosportives or audaxes. Possibly because you have never done any serious solo touring. etc. etc.

I thought when I started cycling that all I needed was one bike for everything. Sure, on grounds of absolute need that is still true - but on grounds of absolute need, there are many things we have that are unnecessary. The question is whether the bike is the best thing for the purpose. It doesn't have to be expensive either - for example, I built up my racer for about £400 (based around a frame that would cost more than that new).

Mr Phoebus

You should always have enough bikes to make your neighbours gossip.

Bodhbh

Guru
Currently have a MTB converted as a rough-stuff type tourer and a Airnimal Joey folder which I'm just about to convert to drops, stick some thin tyres on and otherwise keep fairly light. More by accident than design, but I guess I will have 4 bases of functionality covered if not in a particularly optimal way - off-road/touring/folding/road. Would love to try more bikes - a recumbent or un-converted MTB - but money and tbh space living in a bedsit.

Also have a 15 quid ebay MTB for doing shopping runs, don't have to worry about it getting nicked, even locking it and can keep it in the yard to stop the housemates moaning about more junk.

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
Possibly because there is no such thing as a 'normal, upright geared road bike' anymore. Possibly because you have never raced or done any serious cyclosportives or audaxes. Possibly because you have never done any serious solo touring. etc. etc.

I thought when I started cycling that all I needed was one bike for everything. Sure, on grounds of absolute need that is still true - but on grounds of absolute need, there are many things we have that are unnecessary. The question is whether the bike is the best thing for the purpose. It doesn't have to be expensive either - for example, I built up my racer for about £400 (based around a frame that would cost more than that new).
What i mean is if i was to do touring. There is no way a 'touring' bike would serve me any better than my current road bike. It takes panniers, what more could i want. For me there's absolutely no advantage to a steel frame or mudguards. And the geometry is perfectly comfortable for long rides.

jack the lad

I think I've got about 10.

However, a few people have asked me for advice about getting a new bike recently. Always the same parameters - about £5-600, lightweight but could take mudguards and a rack.

Dammit, but that's a good spec for one bike that does it all.

Im tempted to get rid of all mine (mainly old secondhand) and buy one of those...

But then I'd still need to keep -
the Full Sus MTB
the rigid Singlespeed MTB
the fixie
the tandem
the folder
the cruiser
There's no way I could ever get rid of my lovely Carlton or the early Moulton Duomatic and one day I will get round to restoring the FW Evans and the Raleigh Lenton Sports.

So - all I'm missing is an all rounder.

I think I'm about to have 11...

I have 4 1/2

1 - Cheap as chips folder for my regular London trips
1 - Fixie converted from a 1960's claud Butler - Everyday commuter at home
1 - MTB (rarely used)
1 - Perthus Pro Pug road bike (my favourite running Campag Chorus gear)
1/2 - Moser sprinter that is in bits and has been cannibalised for spares.

Appears to be pretty normal, apart from i live in a flat and have virtually no storage space.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have just 1 (well I can't count the cheapo MTB I bought 8 years ago that I can't actually ride).

Thing is, I can't get any more because:
(a) We had to buy a new shed to fit my recumbent trike in, and then had to widen and lengthen the shed and move the door as we got the measurements wrong.
(:angry: There's no way I can justify spending that amount of money again in the near future!
(c) Why would I need more than one bike? My trike is a fantastic all-rounder - as long as I don't want to go off road (which I don't).

so 8 would be too many then ??? :evil:

The secret is to hide as many as possible by buying them all in the same colour and never having too many completely built at one time, ssshh!

Tharg2007

Veteran
itboffin said:
so 8 would be too many then ??? :evil:

not if you have 7. If you had 6 then 8 would be too many. If you currently have 7 then having 8 is ok, if you already have 8 then another one wont make much difference.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One road, one off-road, one I plan to turn into a fixie if i can find some forks big enough (I broke the last ones), and one that's got a broken dropout but I can't quite bring myself to throw it away. Have to say that does feel even to me like plenty and then some.

Tharg2007

Veteran
at present time I have only 2 working bikes :sad:, I also have a track frame soon to be number 3, the carlton that was 3 up until yesterday and is now just a frame, my old blue frame awaiting sale and a trike that needs a little TLC.

I also need a MTB, a folder, a recumbent, an old racing trike, a tandem and quadricycle to replace the car :ohmy: then it will be all those + 1 :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
dodgy said:
A touring bike will be the last bike I would buy, there's something inately 'beardy' about them. It took me long enough to even put mudguards on my old road race bike, a touring bike is a step too far :smile:

Dave.

I didn't have a beard, last time I looked, and I have a Dawes Galaxy (currently in parts for rebuild) and a Giant FCR which I've tourer-ised by adding rack and guards.

Also a winter hack, and a recumbent trike. My +1, if I ever have the money, would be a Brompton.

Top Bottom