How many football grounds have you been to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
This was something I was talking about at the weekend, and I was quite surprised - at first I couldn't think of any 'away' grounds I'd been to, but then I thought a bit longer and came up with:

Maine Road (Manchester City)
City of Manchester Stadium (Manchester City)
Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace - vs MCFC)
Reebok (Bolton - vs MCFC, and then vsSunderland, and also an England U17(?) game)
Ewood Park (Blackburn - vs MCFC)
Old Trafford (Manchester United - vs WImbledon - free ticket)
Anfield (Liverpool - vs MCFC)

I guess some people still go home and away to every game, but I guess fewer do now given the cost and the tv coverage.
Tottenham when I was about eight years old never been back.the most boring afternoon I have ever had. Got no intention of visiting anymore. ^_^

13 rider

Guru
A work colleague has just past 100 grounds in England and Wales. He did the 92 League clubs then has revisited new grounds and new league clubs as they come up . The strange thing he follows football but dosnt support a club
He also has a few European and Scottish grounds but I'm not sure how many

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For atmosphere Upton Park was the best ground I've been to (Though I may be biased there) closely followed by White Hart Lane. Highbury and Stamford Bridge were fairly mute, as was Craven cottage. QPR's ground was fairly lively and Orients could be too. Wembley it depended who was playing, international friendlies could be like a graveyard, cup finals and England v Scotland it was a different place.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
32 in Scotland. Old Trafford and old Wembley in that England. Also been to either Barnsley/Rotherham/Doncaster - I was very drunk for a few days and I know I was at a game but I can't recall which one.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've walked through the carpark of Chesham Utd. Does that count?

Oh, and years ago I went to the Guy Fawkes bonfire at Abingdon Utd, and walked through Abingdon Town. Any good?

East End Park (The PARS)
Almondvale (or whatever they call it these days, Livingston)
Hampden Park (Scotland)
Lansdowne Road (Ireland)
Olympic Stadium (Bayern Munich before they moved to the Allianz)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Following Chelsea for over 40 years ive been to most English clubs. A good few old, defunct grounds and new ones. More grounds then I can remember. Nearly all the PL, Championship and a large smatering of various cup games at lower division clubs. Since 95 plenty of foreign trips around Europe to see them and a lucky trip to Hong Kong.

MarkF

Guru
I can't go somewhere and not want to look at the football ground, it's drives MrsF mental, it must be well over a 100 in just the UK, I have always been football mad. Supporting Bradford who move divisions regularly and have played in all 4, means I've seen most English FL grounds that way. In the 1980's to early 90's I'd also go with some pals to whatever game took our fancy during midweek, shared fuel and we'd maybe end up at a Scunthorpe v Walsall thriller! That all stopped with all seater grounds.

I like non-league football too and see plenty of Bradford Park Avenue, Halifax Town, Farsley Celtic, Harrogate Town, Guiseley and Thackley. But that's not all, I have life long affection for Stenhousemuir and visit Ochilview each season, oop there, I've been to Killie, Celtic, Hibs, Partick, St Mirren & Berwick.

My real love though is Spanish football, been to Malaga, Velez Malaga, Badalona, Sporting Gijon, Oviedo, Alicante, Valencia (+Levante), Seville (+Betis), Barcelona, Real Madrid, Las Palmas, Elche, Girona, Huesca & Cadiz. I go to Spain Sept 1st for some cycling but made sure both Hercules (Alicante) and Elche are at home in the time that I am there.

Best ground? Either El Molinon (Sporting Gijon) or the Benitio Villamarin (Real Betis).:okay:

Slick

Guru
When I first saw the thread title I reckoned I hadn't really been to that many but reading through the other comments has got me thinking and as a boy, our family "holidays" were planned round Glasgow Rangers away schedule and it was quite fortunate Edinburgh and Dundee had two teams in the premier league as that was the only way we would ever venture over to the east coast. :okay:

My most exotic season came in 2008 when I had been a season ticket holder for years and now had the wherewithal to get to European ties but not through official channels, a company called travel choice sorted all our travel and tickets were cheap and plentiful although they were always for the home end. :eek: I ended up going to every away game on our European run all the way to the final and paid an absolute fortune for to secure tickets for the final as Rangers had no record of us ever going to a home game let alone an away day.

I do like football and find it interesting to read how others have a seemingly unlimited interest in the game and follow a number of teams when for me, it's always been all about the Glasgow Rangers and I have no particular interest in visiting a game that my team are not participating in.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just 2 and both the same club. St Johnstone when they were at Muirton Park then when they moved to McDiarmid Park. Oh, and Cowdenbeath if you count watching the stock cars! Lol.

pjd57

Veteran
A lot in Scotland.
Quite a few that no longer exist, as a lot of the smaller clubs have relocated over the years.

In England, Anfield, Elland Rd, Old Trafford, Birmingham city and Wembley, ( new one ).
Wales...Cardiff City's old ground.

In Ireland , the old Landsdowne rd and Tolka Park , nearly forgot the Wexford GAA ground about 50+ years ago.

Amsterdam Arena.... wasn't impressed .
Parc de Prince, which I liked.

Edit...
Just remembered one in Belgium.
Ekeren, just outside Antwerp.
Small ground in a very small town.
Not ideal for about 6,000 visiting fans.
Most spent the day in Antwerp.
Lovely place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom