How many football grounds have you been to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Most of the big city grounds following Tottenham Hotspur.

Also Port Vale where we got beaten in the cup.

I'm all for giving the opposition credit, but any team that managed to find the ground would have beaten us that day.

Each year, I help lead a charity ride from the opponents on the last Southampton home game of the season’s ground, to St.Mary’s stadium. Over recent years, that’s been the Bet365 stadium in Stoke, The Etihad stadium ( Man City ) and the John Smith’s stadium in Huddersfield. It could be Sheffield United this year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not many :dance:

Maine Road, Etihad, Old Trafford, Stockport County, Bolton (was Reebock), and QPR. I've been to about 2 football matches, QPR and Old Trafford.

Maine Road and Bolton have been work events, County was for a party, Etihad for concerts. Only QPR and Old Trafford for matches. Also seen Super League Rugby at Old Trafford x 2.

Do I win for fewest football matches ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took some overseas visitors on the tour of Manchester United a few years ago. Was struck by the museum and all the effort that goes into sustaining the mythology surrounding a bunch of obscenely overpaid prima donnas who kick a ball around a pitch a few Saturdays a year.

Also accompanied an overseas visitor to a match at Manchester City. It was the coldest two hours I can remember.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do like football and find it interesting to read how others have a seemingly unlimited interest in the game and follow a number of teams when for me, it's always been all about the Glasgow Rangers and I have no particular interest in visiting a game that my team are not participating in.

Same as me. I just can't watch other teams as a neutral.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
the Bet365 stadium in Stoke,

Horrible that some of these new grounds are called after betting companies etc! Then we have such names as...…..
https://www.footballgroundmap.com/ground/the-university-of-bolton-stadium/bolton-wanderers

Bolton has a 'university'?:scratch: Er, have they been on 'University Challenge' yet?:giggle:

But let's not mock ground names when Accy Stanley's ground is now known as 'The Wham Stadium'! :rolleyes:

upload_2019-8-20_9-32-47.jpeg
…………..:blush:

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Don't go so much these days but the ones I can remember from days of old.

Carrow Road
Kings Lynn T (The Walks)
Cambridge Utd (Abbey)
Bangor City (Farrar Rd)
Aberystwyth Town
Cardiff Millennium stadium
Tranmere Rovers (Prenton Pk)
Liverpool - Anfield and Goodison
Man City - Maine Road
Oldham (Boundary Pk)
Huddersfield FC
Sheff W (Hillsborough)
Forest (City Grd)
Derby Cty (Baseball)
Birmingham C (St Andrews)
W Brom (Hawthorns)
Bromsgrove R
Wolves (Molyneux)
Stoke City (Britannia)
Oxford Utd (old ground can't remember name)
Luton Town (Kenilworth Rd)
Southend Utd (Roots H)
Wembley (new)
West Ham (Upton Pk)
Crystal Palace & Wimbledon (Selhurst)
Charlton (Valley)
Arsenal (Highbury)
Spurs (W Hart L)
Chelsea (Bridge)
QPR (Loftus R)
Reading (Elm Park)
Southampton (Dell)
Auckland (Eden Park)

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now that the "I haven't got a TV" knee jerks have finished chipping in......

Anfield
Maine Road
Etihad
Old Trafford (loads of times on Corporate jollies despite really despising Man U)
Goodison (with my dad when I was about 12)
Port Vale (twice; once to see the Vale on Boxing Day, the other for the Heavy Metal Holocaust in about '82)
Derby County (the new ground)
Craven Cottage
Huddersfield (to see REM)
Wembley (the old one to see Morecambe beat Dartford in the FA Trophy in '74)
Boca Juniors

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Old Trafford (loads of times on Corporate jollies despite really despising Man U)

I had to "host" a company box at Old Trafford a couple of times. First occasion was against Arsenal in a cup and I'd arranged to take my 3 guests in myself and was told four more would meet me inside. We were met by a young woman in red who led us to our box as it was my first visit. The box was lovely, all white leather with a hot buffet and a fully stocked bar so I told the guys to get wired in - and we did! Then 4 guys arrived to join the party and all was merry until another 4 guys arrived and we realised we were in the wrong box. These guys weren't chuffed that most of the buffet was gone and the bar was seriously depleted but the apologetic girl in red led us to the correct box - where a slap-up 4 course sit down meal was being served. Lovely. The bar was fully stocked too. I think Man Utd lost but I don't really care.

ETA - my next game was on the Saturday at Crappielow watching my team, squashed into tiny seats in a rickety old stand with restricted views and a cold roll on square sausage.

steverob

Guru
Used to follow my local non-league team home and away and racked up well over 100 grounds with them. And I do mean proper football grounds, even at that level - however I drew the line at "grounds" that were basically just ploughed fields with no stands or facilities or anything, normally with just a rope to keep the spectators back off the pitch! Some of my cohorts did insist on counting these towards their number, which is why they had totals approaching 200 I guess.

Probably only visited a handful of professional club stadiums however - let's see if I can remember which ones...

3 while following my non-league team when we made it into the later rounds of the FA Cup:
Hawthorns (West Brom) - but long before it was made all seater
Loftus Road (QPR)
Vale Park (Port Vale)

2 where I went there when the clubs were still in non-league but have since gone pro
Huish Park (Yeovil Town)
New Lawn (Forest Green Rovers)

And a handful more with other teams:
Adams Park (Wycombe) - pre-season friendly vs Ipswich
St. James' Park (Newcastle) - charity "celebrity" match
Upton Park (West Ham) - my only actual Premier League match, took my Dad to see his "old" team vs Southampton
Wembley (in both old and new varients) for a number of England internationals

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had to "host" a company box at Old Trafford a couple of times. First occasion was against Arsenal in a cup and I'd arranged to take my 3 guests in myself and was told four more would meet me inside. We were met by a young woman in red who led us to our box as it was my first visit. The box was lovely, all white leather with a hot buffet and a fully stocked bar so I told the guys to get wired in - and we did! Then 4 guys arrived to join the party and all was merry until another 4 guys arrived and we realised we were in the wrong box. These guys weren't chuffed that most of the buffet was gone and the bar was seriously depleted but the apologetic girl in red led us to the correct box - where a slap-up 4 course sit down meal was being served. Lovely. The bar was fully stocked too. I think Man Utd lost but I don't really care.

ETA - my next game was on the Saturday at Crappielow watching my team, squashed into tiny seats in a rickety old stand with restricted views and a cold roll on square sausage.

Good story, here's mine...

Invited to final game of Man U season, not in a box but in the "corporate seats" on the half way line. They were playing Spurs and (I think) they had to avoid defeat to be crowned Champions. Game gets underway.....and Les Ferdinand scores for Spurs. Deathly quiet except in the away end.

I couldn't stop myself......jumped out of my seat and roared "get in you f***ing beauty".

Cue all the "real" Man U fans in the non corporate seats below ours turning round. The abuse I got would have made you blush. No happy ending to the story sadly, Man U won and were crowned Champions. I made my excuses and left before the trophy parade around the pitch. I think I would have thrown up.

Top Bottom