How many lights is to many?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
I am all for been seen at night or anytime of the day in fact. I have my main set of lights and a cheap set of those rubbery things that wrap around the seat post, but on the way home tonight I was sitting behind a cyclist waiting to pass in the car and noticed he not only had a hiviz jacket but at the rear of the bike he had the following;

1 reflector at the top of the seat post
1 reflector at the base of the frame
2 main lights on full sat on the seat post
1 flashing leds above said reflector on the frame
2 flashing leds on the opposite side of the frame
1 led on his helmet
And a further two flashing leds on his back pack

Pass him and look in the mirror and pretty much the same is true at the front.

Now my questions are a) eaither he works for duracell or is a major share holder & b) surely losing all but 2 of the lights of the frame and the one on his helmet plus the same at the front would make his ride so much quicker and less distracting for other road users.

It was like a bloody mobile disco but fair play on the guy he was still able to ride at a steady pace.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hanging is too good for him.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
One is too many if you are a ninja cyclist.
Very true but to be a ninja cyclist around essex means you have to be 12 on a bmx and enjoy playing chicken with the traffic by shooting across the road wearing a pair of black tracky bottoms and matching hoodie. The only thing that stops you taking them out is the bright white Nike trainers.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I am all for been seen at night or anytime of the day in fact. I have my main set of lights and a cheap set of those rubbery things that wrap around the seat post, but on the way home tonight I was sitting behind a cyclist waiting to pass in the car and noticed he not only had a hiviz jacket but at the rear of the bike he had the following;

1 reflector at the top of the seat post
1 reflector at the base of the frame
2 main lights on full sat on the seat post
1 flashing leds above said reflector on the frame
2 flashing leds on the opposite side of the frame
1 led on his helmet
And a further two flashing leds on his back pack

Pass him and look in the mirror and pretty much the same is true at the front.

Now my questions are a) eaither he works for duracell or is a major share holder & b) surely losing all but 2 of the lights of the frame and the one on his helmet plus the same at the front would make his ride so much quicker and less distracting for other road users.

It was like a bloody mobile disco but fair play on the guy he was still able to ride at a steady pace.

The very fact you are posting this shows that the lights did the job of getting him noticed. He is probably very conscious of how vulnerable cyclists are especially at this time of year, and he is doing his best to try and ensure his own safety.
I have one multi function rear light with five led and a one watt front light, I also have back up Knog front and rear lights if required.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
People have lots of reasons for fitting lights, wearing hiviz or doing any number of things that may look a little over the top...keep in mind they most likely do because something bad has happened, or nearly happened, to them and they are concerned. To me, the fact that they carry on riding, despite the concern is good enough.

Sorry I know this sounds like I am now judging you, I'm not...just offering a counter view.

PS, On a commute I have two fronts (in case one fails) one rear...don't know why I don't worry about the rear failing...weird

I dont wear Hi viz unless its raining and that just because my only fully waterproof goretex jacket is hiviz...it seemed to make sense when i bought it.
On a weekend the bike is unfettered and I mostly wear black

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
The very fact you are posting this shows that the lights did the job of getting him noticed. He is probably very conscious of how vulnerable cyclists are especially at this time of year, and he is doing his best to try and ensure his own safety.
I have one multi function rear light with five led and a one watt front light, I also have back up Knog front and rear lights if required.

People have lots of reasons for fitting lights, wearing hiviz or doing any number of things that may look a little over the top...keep in mind they most likely do because something bad has happened, or nearly happened, to them and they are concerned. To me, the fact that they carry on riding, despite the concern is good enough.

Sorry I know this sounds like I am now judging you, I'm not...just offering a counter view.

PS, On a commute I have two fronts (in case one fails) one rear...don't know why I don't worry about the rear failing...weird

I dont wear Hi viz unless its raining and that just because my only fully waterproof goretex jacket is hiviz...it seemed to make sense when i bought it.
On a weekend the bike is unfettered and I mostly wear black

Hey I know your not judging and it's good to have an alternative view on things

Oh don't get me wrong I have no issues with people making themselves visable to others and take the point that this person may of had a bad experience but it was quite off putting the amount of flashing going on and as stated did make it difficult to judge distance and speed.

Top Bottom