How many lights is to many?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i use main 2 lights on bars , a small flashing light on helmet and 1 rear light on either flash or constant mode

and a hiviz with built in 6 x white leds and 6 red leds

nothing wrong with wanting to be seen

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
This chap would have considered the lighting described to be inadequate...

Mod_Mirrors_scooter_mod_revival.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I reckon too many lights gives off a i'm a bit wobbly and vulnerable message which makes some vehicles give you a wide birth, but it also attracts any idiots on the pavement looking for a confrontation.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
How many is too many... depends where Im riding.

A cross town ride has one main front and rear (with a spare of each in case of failure) and small front and rear helmet lights.

When I used to have to go through Cannock chase at 4.30am then it was 2 mains, one for close to mid range and one for longer range, an exposure blaze on constant with a flare pulsing on the rear. Helmet light is an exposure Diablo with the rear light attachment.

You can tell me that's too much if you want, but I will put my fingers in my ears and go "LA - LA - LA CANT HEAR YOU!!!"

I should caveat that with I believe im considerate and will aim my helmet light away from oncoming traffic and also cover the long range one with my hand to avoid dazzle. the rears always stay bright as there are some boy racers and I feel safer putting a lot of light out when they approach fast on blind bends.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I use 3 for night time mtb..2 for near and far on the bars and a helmet light for direction changes..its bloody amaizing when there all on full

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
No more than six. Four on the bike (two front and two rear so that you always have a backup), and a front and rear on the helmet if you feel like it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I reckon too many lights gives off a i'm a bit wobbly and vulnerable message which makes some vehicles give you a wide birth, but it also attracts any idiots on the pavement looking for a confrontation.
I reckon too many lights detracts from the pedal reflectors, plus it makes motorists look at you too much and most motorists steer at what they look at... you might as well paint a target on your back. One good non dazzling rear light with a large illuminated area is best.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
2 lights on main bar - One constant, one strobe
1 helmet light - I dont always have this on, it depends on the amount of traffic on the road. If there is a lot of traffic then i'll have it set to low or medium (its an 80lm light) just so i dont blind everyone i look at.
2 tail lights - one attached to my bag while the other is on my seat post or attached to my pannier rack. One of these lights used to be attached to my helmet but took it off and attached it to my bag.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I had 7 on my bike (4 front, 3 rear), and I was knocked off by a driver who performed a u-turn in the road. All the lights & hi-viz clothing in the world won't save you from becoming an accident statistic if a driver isn't paying proper attention.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Similar here, I run 2 Electron lamps on the front (powered by a battery pack) and a couple of 'opticube' Cateyes and at the rear at least 2 Cateyes 1 on constant, 1 flashing. If I'm wearing a rucksack (not that often) I'll stick a small light on that as well.

Top Bottom