How many miles do you get from your road bike tyres) 25x700c?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We use Veloflex Open Corsas, £54 a pair from Ribble. The ride is super-smooth thanks to the cotton sidewalls and the grip is quite phenomenal especially in wet greasy conditions thanks to the soft compound and the file pattern tread. They only last 1000 miles at most on the rear before the cuts become too bad but I don't mind that short lifespan in view of the superb ride qualities.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Continental 4 Seasons Aug 15 - Jun 16 (paid £31 each)
Front: just over 8000km (never punctured)
Rear: just over 5000km (one puncture: snakebite on serious 'in the shade' pothole)
Mostly rural.
Both replaced because the number of nicks meant the risk of punctures had gone above threshold (and I wanted to minimise the chances of delay on @Ian H 's Kernow and SW peninsula 600 audax). Better one now carried as spare on long trips.
If with that regime you start getting frequent punctures, time to change.
If, with that regime (which I applaud), you start getting frequent punctures, you should have changed before that.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm close to the 10000km mark for the year, and most of those have been done with the same pair of vittoria rubino pros. a few cuts and nicks, but that's all. always carry a spare tyre on the commute, mind…

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
i'm close to the 10000km mark for the year, and most of those have been done with the same pair of vittoria rubino pros. a few cuts and nicks, but that's all. always carry a spare tyre on the commute, mind…

That's good going. I'm up to 4,400km on same tyres. The rear is starting to feel a bit thin, I presume the steep hills with wheel slip rubs away quite quickly

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Schwalbe One tubeless 23mm 1100-1500. Schwalbe S-One 3000+ miles

Mostly average 2000-2500 before they die of a thousand cuts or patches. Crappy roads and 500+ yards a day on gravel is the main cause.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
^_^
The rear is starting to feel a bit thin, I presume the steep hills with wheel slip rubs away quite quickly

Or you could be a heavier rider.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Different tyres with different compounds on different road conditions with different rider weights will all wear at different rates.

You have to monitor your own tyre condition, rather than apply some arbitrary distance measure.

Yep, when they're worn out you'll know. And that's the time to replace, no matter what the mileage.

The back tyre always wears quicker so I swapped front to back after about 3000 miles.
Did you move the rear to the front at the same time? Sheldon Brown suggests you always have the best tyre on the front, because a blow out of the front is much more serious than rear. So I usually wait until the rear is worn out, and bin that, then move the front tyre to the rear wheel and put a new tyre on the front.

I'm happy to say that I have never had a blowout of either tyre, so it's probably nearly superstition that I don't move the rear to the front.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did you move the rear to the front at the same time? Sheldon Brown suggests you always have the best tyre on the front, because a blow out of the front is much more serious than rear. So I usually wait until the rear is worn out, and bin that, then move the front tyre to the rear wheel and put a new tyre on the front.

I'm happy to say that I have never had a blowout of either tyre, so it's probably nearly superstition that I don't move the rear to the front.
I always do that with new tyres if they're the same like on road bikes but a couple of my MTBs have front/rear specific tyres on.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

No I just swapped them round, no new tyre.
I check them regularly and they are fine at the moment.

Top Bottom