How many miles do you get from your road bike tyres) 25x700c?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ride one bike 99% of the time, and consistently commute on the same route so it's easy enough to work out mileage. None of my tyres have lasted much beyond 4000 miles, but generally speaking you can get more out of a set if you swap the front and back tyre after 2k miles, as the rear wheel is usually the first to go, if your funny about running two different wheel types, or running new with old, this works best!

I have found little benefit spending more on harder wearing tyres, so stick with the cheapest you can get if you want more bang for buck.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I get maybe 1500-2000 miles on GP4000 before they become very puncture prone (a puncture every 50 miles or so) and too painful to use.

I get around 2500-3000 miles on a 25mm marathon plus.

I'm pretty heavy. And these are rears. Fronts - double that mileage at least.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's good going. I'm up to 4,400km on same tyres. The rear is starting to feel a bit thin, I presume the steep hills with wheel slip rubs away quite quickly

Update...the rear Rubino has had it. About 4,700km. A lot of that is honking up steep hills so presumably that shortens the life a bit, worn through to the threads in a couple of places

Reactions: mjr

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been riding 25C Rubino slicks on my CAAD5 for the past couple of years. I don't know how many miles I am getting from them but they seem to last well.

Are those of you talking about them above riding the plain old Rubinos like mine, or Rubino Pros, and if so which version, and where from/how much?

I got my slicks at a special offer price of 3 for less than £25 but I can't find them anywhere now so I suspect that the Pros took over.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have been riding 25C Rubino slicks on my CAAD5 for the past couple of years. I don't know how many miles I am getting from them but they seem to last well.

Are those of you talking about them above riding the plain old Rubinos like mine, or Rubino Pros, and if so which version, and where from/how much?

I got my slicks at a special offer price of 3 for less than £25 but I can't find them anywhere now so I suspect that the Pros took over.

I think (although someone may say otherwise) that the only difference between the Rubino Pro and Rubino is that the Pro has some tread pattern

Having said that I think the plain Rubino is being phased out. If you look on the Wiggle site it's not available. I've just ordered a couple of Rubino G+. I've had the Pros in the past and they have been very good. Giving these a try

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I ride one bike 99% of the time, and consistently commute on the same route so it's easy enough to work out mileage. None of my tyres have lasted much beyond 4000 miles, but generally speaking you can get more out of a set if you swap the front and back tyre after 2k miles, as the rear wheel is usually the first to go, if your funny about running two different wheel types, or running new with old, this works best!

I have found little benefit spending more on harder wearing tyres, so stick with the cheapest you can get if you want more bang for buck.

As has been said already up thread, you always want the best tyre on the front as a blow out on the front is much more dangerous than the rear. When the rearr wears out put the front tyre on the rear and put a new one on the front. Trust me you don't want a blow out on the front.

fatjel

Veteran
I use Michelin Lithion 2 first pair did 6000 miles + before their first puncture and had almost no rubber on them
Have Marathons that have been on two bikes now that are up to 3500 miles without any punctures and not much sign of wear

the_mikey

Legendary Member
3500-4500km out of a pair of Gatorskins, but I tend to replace them when they're worn 'flat' rather than when the carcass is showing . . .

mustang1

Guru
I have same tires as OP and have 4000km. The tires have squared up and the bike feels wobbly. I already have the new tires but not had time to fit them yet.

Top Bottom