How many of you stick to the speed limit while driving??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

[QUOTE 1818284, member: 9609"]See LINK. FTFY is used a lot on Cycle Chat and never in the context that you have clearly taken it in. I can understand now why you have taken my comments to heart.

As to my post that has disappeared, presumably removed by a moderator? Not really sure why it was removed and it's removal sort of casts suspicion on what I may of wrote. So to explain; 530kam made a post with the opening line "I have a big expensive powerful car" which I done the usual scoring out and added in a comment referring to the size of his manhood. No rude words were used but i did use an anatomical term with 5 letters beginning with P.

I did not mean to offend and was simply taking a light hearted pop at your boasting. I do hope we can get on in future and here is a big welcome to the forum from me. Please don't take me too seriously, I am about as far from a serious person as you get^_^[/quote]

I have an unfeasibly large manhood, and a very small car - I'm unlikely to break the limits in the car, but anyone looking for a rogering better pack a decent lube. There, that boast should give me more brownie points on here than any petrolhead boast - who's first :thumbsup:

Linford

[QUOTE 1916318, member: 45"]An admirable view.

You are aware that the speed limit for vans is less on some ALL NSL roads and ALL dual carriageways ?[/quote]

FTFY ;)

Linford

I've never been caught driving over the speed limit in 30 years on the road :becool:

Copper had a hell of a job trying to catch me on the bike though :rofl:

PoliceMadAd

[QUOTE 1916318, member: 45"]An admirable view.

You are aware that the speed limit for vans is less on some NSL roads?[/quote]
I am, i always remember that NSL limits for me are 10 mph under the normal for a car. I actually thought i was only legal to do 60 on motorways, till i was told its 70. Having a great interest in driving, and being a cyclist, i make sure i rwad up on the highway code regularly.

Strick

Pretty much always drive BELOW the speed limit these days. Motorways and dual carriageways, I usually set cc at around 62mph ish. Doesnt seem to take any longer to get where I'm going, I feel more relaxed as I'm not constantly watching the speedo, I generally enjoy the jourmey more, oh, and the fuel seems to last a bit longer too. ^_^
Does tend to bug a few people who seem to have to tailgate me, which I can never understand when there's a perfectly empty lane to their right, but hey-ho.

Linford

Spot the key word. ;)

You obviously dont drive enough miles, its just a numbers game, and anyone who tells you different is either a) a liar or b) Mr Magoo....

magoo.jpg

It was an honest statement, but then again so was the following one ;)

Mike5537

30 & 40mph are a must to obey I think as the ones round me are in built up areas, over that I think its open to interpretation. In my cupra I never needed to look at the speedo, I knew how fast I was going by the engine nose and what gear I was in (to within a few mph) motorways and dual carridgeways I was normally one of the faster cars on the road but rarely went above 90. Now I have a diesel focus and I play with the instant mpg, I try and get the highest mpg/mph combo. But I still have mad moments where I need to put my foot down but (as a silly statement as it sounds) I'm sensible with it, never tailgate or put other drivers under pressure etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Linford

You've lost me there, I'm afraid.

IIRC the sentencing guideline for more than 30mph above the relevant limit is "fine; and consider disqualification." As someone who observes even the 20 mph limit outside my door, I think that is how it should be.

There is a world of difference between a 20mph or 30mph limit and an NSL in the arse end of nowhere though. The former is placed there because higher speeds at that point elevate the risks to the particularly vulnerable there - like outside schools. The NSL is an arbitrary limit which recognises that drivers can use the maxim 'drive at a speed which you can stop within the distance you see to be safe', and thankfully the majority of traffic police recognise the latter and use their discretion and common sense (as experts in this field) to judge if the speed is and vehicle control warrant a summons or on the spot fine.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Can I endorse the 1.6 Bluemotion VW with a display computer showing total and trip average mpg. It would change anyone's philosophy to speed and erratic driving..

Linford

[QUOTE 1917829, member: 45"]Nope. This is just the sophistry of the speed apologist.[/quote]

I'm not apologising for any gratuitous use of the throttle - always know if you exceed the limit, and if you get caught, then bend over and take it like a man :thumbsup:

Linford

[QUOTE 1917979, member: 45"]The speed apologist seeks to justify his behaviour.
[/quote]

I didn't say that though did I, re-read what I wrote ^

Linford

[QUOTE 1917999, member: 45"]If you couldn't justify your behaviour, at least to yourself, you would not indulge. You've sought to justify your speeding on this thread by claiming that NSL speed limits are arbitrary and the police turn a blind eye, so it's ok.

Anyway, I'm talking about the Speed Apologist. If you're now claiming to be he then that's your own self-election.[/quote]

The traffic police do turn a blind eye though, and they are classed by the courts and called as expert witnesses in the subject when prosecutions are brought before them. If they were to bring every single infringement of the law to court by every person who broke it, the courts would cease to function, and the licenses wouldn't be worth the paper they are written on.

You might consider yourself to be a perfect drivers who never ever infringes on any part of road traffic law, but realistically, we only have you word that is truly the case.

I'd much rather settle for someone who can acknowledge their faults as there is always going to be something they can strive to improve on (like smeggers) ;)

Linford

[QUOTE 1918178, member: 45"]You've taught yourself something there without realising.

The speed apologist would suggest that the police turn a blind eye to speeding drivers because they're part of the exclusive club that know that it's safe after all. The truth is that this type of lawbreaking is so widespread that it would be impossible to punish every driver who increases the risk that the roads bring. And that there are huge political influences.

Well, no you don't. Because "we" don't consider ourselves to be perfect drivers.

The speed apologist would seek to infer that breaking the speed limit is not a choice.

I respect smeggers' decision, without approving of his behaviour.

The speed apologist does not accept that what he does it wrong, and instead seeks to pass the blame, claim that there is no increased risk, or create a special club for those who are too clever for the law.[/quote]

Jeez dude, willl you listen to what you are saying - 'speed apologists'

You have used the term 'mitigation' many times in previous arguments (the ones about climate change usually).

Mitigation in speed terms means that 70mph on the motorway for a 44tonne HGV is substantially more dangerous in an emergency braking situation than 70mph is for a modern car or motorcycle.
that is why HGVs and towing vehicles are speed limited to 60mph.

You do just apply the argument with so little thought for any application of mitigation that you lose credibility.

All speed carries risk, but then life is risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom