How many of you stick to the speed limit while driving??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
He's right too. Whether you like it or not 70mph is 70mph. You can't argue against his position without condoning law breaking.

How does he know the accuracy of his speedometer, or sat-nav if he is going by that? If he wants to be a Traffic Policeman, let him do it through the normal channels.

subaqua

What’s the point
How does he know the accuracy of his speedometer, or sat-nav if he is going by that? If he wants to be a Traffic Policeman, let him do it through the normal channels.
yes , but even the Black Rats and the highways agency plastic police drive at 65 in the left lane not the middle !

Brandane

Legendary Member
He's right too. Whether you like it or not 70mph is 70mph. You can't argue against his position without condoning law breaking.

Yebut..... What is worse, a minor speeding offence, or contravening section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (or whatever it is these days) which states it is an offence to drive without due care and attention, OR without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road; which is exactly what you describe.

I would say the speeding offence is fairly insignificant compared to RTA section 3, and in my previous professional experience, the courts (rightly)take the same view.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I know my speedo over-reads by roughly 10%, so when I do 85 down the motorway, I'm roughly within the Limit + 10% thing that the police use as a guide for pulling people over.

You can go down the A316 (40 limit) and go past the speed cameras with 50 on the clock and they never flash

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Yebut..... What is worse, a minor speeding offence, or contravening section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (or whatever it is these days) which states it is an offence to drive without due care and attention, OR without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road; which is exactly what you describe.

I would say the speeding offence is fairly insignificant compared to RTA section 3, and in my previous professional experience, the courts (rightly)take the same view.
Spot on IMO

Some old codger doing 55 in lane 1, or 65 in lane 2 is far more dangerous than someone overtaking at 80 in lane 3, IMO

Brandane

Legendary Member
Because speedometers and satellite navigators are manufactured to conform to certain standards of accuracy.

Yes, and last time I checked it was +/- 10%. So if his speedo says 70 mph, he could in fact be doing 63mph. Or 77mph, in which case he is guilty of exactly what he is trying to prevent! Leave it to the pros with the accurate speed measurement equipment.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
What is wrong with that? They are supposed to be in the left lane unless overtaking, no matter what speed they are doing!
Unfortunately most people can't tell the difference between the HA tossers and the real police, so there's generally a jam around them.

(I passed a cop car on the M5 doing about 105 once, didn't spot them until it was too late - they didn't even follow me. I was 18 at the time, I don't go that fast anymore...)

Yes you can. There are a surprising number of cars that can legally break the 70mph limit without the use of lights and sirens. Section 87 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 says:No statutory provision imposing a speed limit on motor vehicles shall apply to any vehicle on an occasion when it is being used for fire brigade, ambulance or police purposes, if the observance of that provision would be likely to hinder the use of the vehicle for the purpose for which it is being used on that occasion.

It makes no reference to lights or sirens being necessary, though of course it is the norm. I won't go into all of the permutations, but trust me they exist - though of course I accept they are the minority. One I'll give you is fire, ambulance or police vehicles heading to a jumper on the motorway threatening suicide - sirens and lights are likely to hinder the situation here, yet we need to get there ASAP.

Now, there's the other fact - the ten percent discrepancy shown by speedos. This gives margin of error. You may be travelling at an indicated 70, with your true speed being 63. Why should you hold up someone doing a true calibrated 70?

Thes also the effect of braking on a congested motorway. If its busy and you hog the middle lane, you make the left lane unusable. If someone ahead brakes, the braking effect goes down the queue, getting slightly longer at each stage. On a congested motorway, two miles down the road this can cause the 'come to a stop for no reason' effect. If this happens to your lane, and you are in the middle, you transfer the effect to the left lane if no one wishes to break the law and undertake.

It's not hard - the left most lane is for driving. The middle and outer lanes are for overtaking only.

fimm

Veteran
I've never owned a car, although I've had a licence for over 20 years. So I'm not the best driver, due to lack of practice. I stick to the speed limit strictly in built up areas - but yes, it is possible to creep over and of course I have. I've changed my habits on the motorway, however. I reckon that overtaking at 65 on a two lane motorway is pretty dangerous and inconsiderate, as everyone else comes piling up behind you, so I make sure I do a good 70 - 75 under those circumstances. And yes, sometimes I've done 80, realised "oh, this feels a bit fast" confimed from the speedo and slowed down. No points yet... but I don't claim that I'm incapable of getting them.

subaqua

What’s the point
What is wrong with that? They are supposed to be in the left lane unless overtaking, no matter what speed they are doing!

absolutely nothing wrong with that. its demonstrating where people should be . sheesh some people want to argue for the sake of it

I got nicked for speeding on my motorbike at age 17 but since then have not acquired any points on my licence.

I do try to keep within the speed limit at all times. Which results in getting carved up by some potty impatient pillock or other from time to time, but I just have to let them go, and hope that there will be camera van around the corner.....

On motorways I tend to stick to about 60/65, either in my car or in the campervan, which is permitted to do 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom