How many of you stick to the speed limit while driving??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I haven't read the whole thread.

I don't think I ever exceed the speed limit in urban or residential areas, and indeed I frequently go slower (it's a limit, not a target) if conditions dictate.

However, I do tend to go a bit faster than 70 on motorways (almost never more than 80), if it's clear and dry with light traffic. No excuse if I get caught of course.

Few things annoy me more than people who moan and whinge about being caught speeding. The speed limits are pretty obvious and unequivocal. You knew the risks, just take it on the chin.

Linford

[QUOTE 1918245, member: 45"]The speed apologist seeks to dismiss posted limits by focussing purely on risk associated with increased speed, and then not going on to relate the risk aspect to the limit.

The speed apologist knows all about the influence of posted limits -reasons for, impact of, acceptable expectations by other road users etc- but by only speaking of risk level can pretend that they are not a factor in road safety.
__
The speed apologist will not consider that risk level, mitigation etc all has its place in road safety, but within the posted limits.

The speed apologist will do everything possible to discuss unnecessary risk.

A quick forum search on me using "mitigate" or "mitigation" brings no hits.[/quote]

Well that was back in the days of p&l so no surprise it is gone.
What on earth are you wittering on about with this speed apologist thing. are you implying that i am apologising for breaking a speed limit as you really are mistaken.
Accepting that you have broken the law amd apologising for that is two differnt things.

Linford

[QUOTE 1918339, member: 45"]The speed apologist seeks to justify the ongoing unnecessary increased risk that he brings to the road.

That's different from someone who accepts that by speeding they make the roads a more dangerous place. Neither have anything to do with taking punishment when caught.

Whether or not that applies to you is your choice, not my labelling.[/quote] we all increase risk on the roads when we use them. it isn't my problem that you struggle to come to terms with your own part of this. i guess that is why you seek to disassociate yourself with your own guilt in relation to this. Your denial is quite apparent in the way you arr yourself part of the problem but then claim everyone else is worse than you.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Mr Paul doesn't like it when people overtake him at speed

Pensioner_On_Freeway.jpg

Linford

[QUOTE 1918401, member: 45"]The speed apologist seeks to justify his behaviour by claiming that the problem is with his interrogator's personality, as this is much more difficult to establish, as a diversion from the fact that adrenaline and fragile egos are inexcusable on the road, and that all road safety discussion can be continued within the posted limits.

The Speed Apologist seeks to dismiss the fact that there is never an acceptable level of risk above the posted limit.[/quote]

Who says that you have to get an adrenaline rush to speed ?

This was proven the other night in Danny McCaskiles program about risk takers when he rode on the back of Guy Martin.

Linford

[QUOTE 1818163, member: 45"]I used to speed. Then I grew up.

In 30 & 30 limits there's no reason not to stay below the limit, and plenty of reasons to obey it.

On the motorway, traffic generally doesn't flow as quickly as some might like to claim. Stick to an indicated 75 (in reality around the 70 limit) and you'll make good progress and need to overtake much of the traffic.

Stay around 60-65 and you'll make significant fuel savings. Put that against the insignificant amount of time you'll save by speeding and it's not worth it.[/quote]

Well what you have done in this thread is indicate that you normally drive below the posted limits. What makes you decide that the speeds you drive at are appropriate to the conditions ?

Linford

[QUOTE 1919185, member: 45"]A risk assessment.[/quote]

You do a risk assessment and decide what speed you feel below the posted limit is the safe one to do - very good. That is the correct answer :thumbsup:

You need to better explain how you arrive by this decision, as you are being a bit vague. You also stated that you 'used to speed', but not any more.

I followed a Laguna from Yatton to Clevedon this afternoon in a 40mph limit. He accelerated up to 30mph at one stage along the 2 mile route before slowing to a crawl and then eventually turning off towards the football ground - He was either following his sat nav, was being spoonfed directions on a mobile phone, or was totally lost and trying to wing it.

People who set their own speed limits on open roads by crawling along well below the limits where there are no other vehicles to slow them, and no turnings off are doing this risk assessment thing themselves.

I would say that they drive well below the limits when there is no obvious hazard because they are not comfortable or confident with the surroundings they find themselves in, and so have to do this to cope with the information as it presents.

Would this be a good description of your ability and confidence level as it sums the standard of my 82 year old dad up completely - lack of confidence and ability is a sign that you are getting old ;)

Norm

Is it me or is there a whole bunch of deja vu going on here. I'm sure you guys have played through these tapes before now.

Linford

You do a risk assessment and decide what speed you feel below the posted limit is the safe one to do - very good. That is the correct answer :thumbsup:
You need to better explain how you arrive by this decision, as you are being a bit vague. You also stated that you 'used to speed', but not any more.

[QUOTE 1919376, member: 45"]No, I don't need to do anything.
[/quote]

I think you do if you want to retain any credibility in this argument.

You can't stand on the moral high ground to judge others unless you can justify that position

Driving safely can only be done by using continual risk assessment. Only an ignorant fool would try and trivialise this process when handling heavy equipment in motion....

Linford

[QUOTE 1919508, member: 45"]The speed apologist will continue to try to blah blah blah etc.

You're putting me up there bud, I'm not standing on blah blah blah etc

The speed apologist will often blah blah blah etc

The speed apologist will often state the blah blah blah etc [/quote]

Jeez, you really do talk some twaddle when you get going MrP.

You have put yourself up there for scrutiny with your sanctimonious attitude, so you need to justify your position. You aren't doing a very good job of this at the moment.

You are trying to justify your stance on speed limits whilst admitting further up the page that you actually exceed the posted limits as displayed by your speedo - you are playing around with what you consider is the tolerancing of the enforcement criteria to stop you from picking up a ticket, and that really does make you no better than anyone else who deliberately goes out to break the limits, and furthermore, it really is not best practice to be fixated on the needle when you should really be looking at the road and the vehicles around you and adjusting your speed accordingly to keep that safe margin.

Linford

[QUOTE 1919571, member: 45"]
The speed apologist will attempt to prove that his inquisitor exceeds the speed limit by playing with words.[/quote]

[QUOTE 1818163, member: 45"]
On the motorway, traffic generally doesn't flow as quickly as some might like to claim. Stick to an indicated 75 (in reality around the 70 limit) and you'll make good progress and need to overtake much of the traffic[/quote]

Not only are you happy to exceed the limits yourself (as you cannot be sure that the calibration of the speedo isn't actually bang on)
but you then encourage others to take the same risks themselves.

You are a compulsive speed denier AICMFP :thumbsup:

Linford

[QUOTE 1919659, member: 45"]The speed apologist often is not aware of simple facts, such as that no standard speedometer is 100% accurate and as it is illegal for a speedometer to under-read, the accuracy has to be set to allow tolerances no not indicate an under-read, or that GPS speedometers are more accurate.

The speed apologist's dogged pursuance of the reputation of the attacker in an attempt to divert from the issue at hand is an unconscious (and often too subtle for he himself to realise) admission that his position is unsustainable.[/quote]

What the law actually requires in the UK is as follows: - if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

This means that if you are driving at a true 75mph, then your speedo must not show less than that figure on the dial but can incidentally and legally also read higher than that figure - you have no idea if the speedo is reading accurately or over so that makes you a bit of a chancer doesn't it when you say you drive at an indicated 75mph - see above ^ :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom