How many of you use cadence for training ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Cadence does have an effect on work as that's the distance part of the equation.

No sorry, it's not. Cadence has no effect on work done. Two riders both riding at the same power output, but at different cadences, will both do the same amount of work to get to the top of the same hill at the same time.

What a high cadence allows is for a lower level of force to be used. This has a number of advantages for certain individuals.

A lower level of force perhaps, but ultimately, the same amount of power - unless you want to go slower.

Citius

Not sure what your suggesting I watch but wouldn't you agree that Chris is a cadence rider.

We are all cadence riders. We all ride at a cadence - obviously - if we didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere. Froome rides at many difference cadences, depending on what he is doing, as do most of us.

midlife

Guru
Two riders with equal gearing, one with a low cadence and one with a higher cadence. Which one is doing more work.? It depends on how you want to put the question. :smile:

Which situation favours higher oxygen carrying capacity in the bloodstream, high or low cadence?

Shaun

We are all cadence riders. We all ride at a cadence - obviously - if we didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere. Froome rides at many difference cadences, depending on what he is doing, as do most of us.

Yes, but the general consensus is that Chris prefers a higher cadence range than other riders. He's a spinner, not a masher. And he probably discovered his optimal cadence's for climbing, flats and downhills through some sort of cadence based training.

From what I've read, nobody starts out riding at their most optimal cadence, but through training, riders generally gravitate to an rpm that works best for them. If a rider never trains at a given cadence they may not discover the difference between mashing at 50 and spinning at 90 and therefore get stuck in a rut.

Citius

Froome is obsessed with cadence and always has been. One of the reasons that made me post this posing question

He is more likely to be obsessed with power, as most pros are. Froome averaged 414w on the climb up to La Pierre SM. More than the others. His attack saw him holding 556w for around 30 seconds - again, more than the others could sustain. Which is why he got the gap. And why he won.

Citius

Two riders with equal gearing, one with a low cadence and one with a higher cadence. Which one is doing more work.? It depends on how you want to put the question. :smile:

Which situation favours higher oxygen carrying capacity in the bloodstream, high or low cadence?

Shaun

It depends on your definition of 'work' I guess. I am simply using the accepted definition in physics.

The answer to your question is higher cadence, I believe. I am not arguing against high cadence, incidentally.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So you dont think Chris favours a high cadence?
From what I've noticed he does tend to keep in a lower gear than the rest of the climbers, stay seated and spin when there's pressure. Doubtless, Sky have run loads of tests on him and advised that it's his most efficient style. Personally though, I reckon he can't focus on his stem when he's out of the saddle.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
He is more likely to be obsessed with power, as most pros are. Froome averaged 414w on the climb up to La Pierre SM. More than the others. His attack saw him holding 556w for around 30 seconds - again, more than the others could sustain. Which is why he got the gap. And why he won.
Was talking about his riding in general, not just that stage

Shaun
So two riders on single speeds with the same gear ratios? The higher cadence rider is doing more work. And spinning favours higher O2 capacity.

Citius

And he probably discovered his optimal cadence's for climbing, flats and downhills through some sort of cadence based training.

We moved beyond 'random guesswork' on page 1, I think.

From what I've read, nobody starts out riding at their most optimal cadence, but through training, riders generally gravitate to an rpm that works best for them. If a rider never trains at a given cadence they may not discover the difference between mashing at 50 and spinning at 90 and therefore get stuck in a rut.

Train - and your cadence will find you - as Yoda might have said, if he was a cycle coach. As I keep saying, training cadence is a complete diversion to what a performance oriented rider ought to be doing - ie training performance.

Citius

Was talking about his riding in general, not just that stage

I was using that as an example to underline the point that power is what he (and everyone else) trains for - not cadence. If you look at some vids of him riding on the flat, or during TTs, his cadence is no higher than anyone else's.

All those internet memes of 'Chris Froome looking at stems' - he's looking at his power output, not his cadence.

Train - and your cadence will find you - as Yoda might have said, if he was a cycle coach. As I keep saying, training cadence is a complete diversion to what a performance oriented rider ou

Not true. Some level of cadence training is common and beneficial to any rider looking to up their performance. Whether that's intervals or sprints, these are training elements that help develop a cadence range and take riders outside of their current comfort zone. For example spinning downhill, if a rider wants to keep up with his friends as they spin off down hill, but find's themselves bouncing in the saddle every time they go above 90rpm. Then some cadence training, focusing on riding at +90rpm is what they will need to do.

Possibly my experience is more around mtb and track, where higher cadence's are required, but I've seen many riders hit ruts as they've never taken the time to develop smooth high cadence techniques.

Top Bottom