How many of you use cadence for training ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I feel for all those who don't have computers and/or cadence sensors who can't train something so important - It must be terrible for them.

It's wonderful, so much freedom - wheel bike out of garage, sit on saddle, turn pedals, arrive at destination - no fuss, no hassle, no stress.

Citius

Not true. Some level of cadence training is common and beneficial to any rider looking to up their performance

Cadence is incidental to the objective of improvement. Even when coaches prescribe low cadence intervals, or high cadence intervals (as many do), the objective is still to hit and maintain a power number, or an effort level - not a cadence number. Cadence is not the goal.

midlife

Guru
If you want to increase the rate you are doing work then one way of doing this is to increase the cadence for any given force applied to the pedals. This means you need to increase aerobic capacity but not necessarily muscle "strength". great if you can carry more oxygen with more red blood cells, or is that the cynic in me?

Shaun

Citius

If you want to increase the rate you are doing work then one way of doing this is to increase the cadence for any given force applied to the pedals. This means you need to increase aerobic capacity but not necessarily muscle "strength". great if you can carry more oxygen with more red blood cells, or is that the cynic in me?

Shaun

Not sure what your point is? I don't think that anyone would disagree that cadence is a functional component of cycling. The only point for debate is whether it is appropriate to focus on it as a training goal.

midlife

Guru
My point was that blood doping / EPO will improve the rate of doing work by allowing for an increase in cadence.... Hence the "cynic" coda :smile: .

Shaun

Edited to say my original post about number 10 down the list alludes to using power or HR as a better training and than cadence

Citius

My point was that blood doping / EPO will improve the rate of doing work by allowing for an increase in cadence.... Hence the "cynic" coda :smile: .

Shaun

Any increase in work rate will be down to an increase in power - the cadence is incidental. I'm not sure if you're trying to help or not, but we are over-complicating something here which really should be very, very simple.

Citius

From another angle, isn't there an overall gain from a higher cadence by helping keep weight down?

Higher cadence creates a higher metabolic demand, so that's possible.

midlife

Guru
Work rate = power iirc. It's simple and we agree but just coming from slightly different angles.

Shaun

Top Bottom