How many own a folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emu

[I have always disregarded a folder but I am considering something which could fit in the boot of the car and be used around town.]

Having bought my Brompton for use on trains I've also found it quite often ends up in the boot of the car "just in case" if we're off to the park with the kids. Or if I'm waiting for them whilst they're dancing or whatever I can have a bit of excercise.[/quote]

Si

Had a Birdy Blue about ten years ago - very comfortable bike that gave a good ride for a small wheeled (it had a 16inch rim conversion 'cos you couldn't get good tyres in the R&M 18inch size then) folder. Commuted on it on train, did some club runs and even the odd hilly audax. Very reliable.

Then sold it and got an Airnimal with a mix of DA, Ultegra and 105 kit. It was one of the early ones and the seat mast snapped twice. Airnimal changed the design and I didn't have any moe trouble with the seat mast. But a couple of years ago the main frame snapped in two. So as soon as the warrantee replacement came I sold it, having lost confidence in them even though I'm sure that it would have been fine.
The Airnimal has a nice ride - much like a light tourer and again I used it for commuting, club runs and audaxes.

Now I'm looking at using the trains to get around ago for various reasons so I was in need of a new folder. Have tried a Brommie but wasn't too keen on the ride (I like to honk out the saddle a lot). Dahon had some nice offerings at good prices but I'd heard that some replacement parts are hard to get and that the wheel build quality isn't always that great. Tried a Mezzo - seemed like a nice ride but they only had the 4spd and the bikes are too new to find one second hand.

So, I decided on another Birdy and picked up a used but good condition one on the CTC forum. This one is Birdy Red. It had a comfort stem, which I've customised with the help of Black Dog Bicycles (topdog@blackdogbicycles.com) in the US. It now has a standard road ahead stem fitted to the top of it which makes the reach, and thus the ride, much better.
Next I will be looking at extenting the gear range for when I go touring in the hills.

Seadog

Airnimal Rhino - full sus. When I was ordering this I asked them why not make with a Rohlof hub gears - now they do. (I should have got a discount!)

Not a quick fold .. but you can ride this bike all day.

SD

ChrisW

Airnimal Chameleon and been to loads of places with it.

Rides beautifully and if there are any problems, an LBS is always helpful because they are so curious about it.

ChrisW

ibren said:
just bought an Airnimal Chameleon pro sport 105 after a long period of drooling, not cycled for many years but decided to start commuting to work, Greenwich>Regent st 18 miles roundtrip ("GULP"), wish me luck.
anywho new to this forum mallarky too so salutations to you all[/b]

I've got one (see above!) and sometimes use it for Wimbledon-West End about 19 miles round trip.

18 miles is a nice distance to start with. Maybe in the first few weeks just do 4 days a week, take Weds off to have a rest.

Best of luck.

Dahon Impulse 24-gears. 3 on the Sram internal, 8 on the outside.

Great ride and nippy, but build quality isn't brilliant, nor is the fold very practical. The long seat post needs to be kept lubricated or you'll pull the shim and collar off, and as a result there's loads of chances to get oil all over your kit. There are also several adjustable collars which need to be kept JUST so, or the thing gets all loose and wobbly.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have a Seas Sure folding bike. Not expensive but it does the job i wont it to. It gets used every day and has only a few signs of wear over the 412miles on it.

Joe

Cranky

Brompton L3, 2001.

Bought with the best of intentions for my commute at the time when we decided to become a one car family. We did become a one car family.... for about a week and then suddenly found we desperately needed two again. Therefore, Brommie relegated to occasional use.

Now we've moved to a different area, where two cars are a curse rather than a necessity, so have successfully been a one car family since last October and I ride my bike(s) nearly everywhere. The Brommie still only gets occasional use but I lovingly dust it every so often and lube the chain. Don't think I'd ever sell it.

Dahon Vitesse. Not used it very much, gears seem a bit rattly but it's a nice bike. Mainly I bought it so I could have a bike that would fit in my house and so not go rusty through being left outside. Which it does. If I was going to do a bike-train-bike commute I would have to max out the credit card and get a Brompton, I went for a test ride on one but couldn't justify the cost....still would like one though.....

mmoo

Twenty Inch said:
Dahon Impulse 24-gears. 3 on the Sram internal, 8 on the outside..

I've got one of these (well 3x7), took a bit of getting used to how springy it was and the extra time to check all the fastening are as tight as can be does add up but it's great fun and well fast.

Did 30 miles on it once and thought that was about the most I could manage though as it's a bit cramped in the reach for me, I remeber seeing one on ebay that had a stem on it to increase the reach but couldn't work out if it would still fold (didn't think so).

John Holiday

Über Member
Folders

Have a second hand ex-Avon Valley Brompton demonstator with all the different colours evident,so it's quite unusual.
Always in the car boot & gets used most days.
Have done the odd longer ride including a 45 miler one day!
Wouldn't be without it!

Top Bottom