How many own a folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

Dahon Vitesse D6.

Was a Speed D6, however the frame started to split around the seatpost. Returned to supplier (frame has 15 year guarantee) and got a Vitesse frame in return.

Plus sides: Price, handles rougher surfaces than a Brompton, handles great on tarmac for a folder, especially for bulkier riders like me. Excellent gear range.

Downsides: Heavy, fold Ok, but chainset exposed unlike Brompton. Build uality 50/50. Parts availability. Bulkier fold than Brompton but barely noticeable in a crowded train.

Does the job for me though.

I have just received a cheap from t'internet folder. You get what you pay for but it's good enough for what I want it for. 16" wheels, relatively heavy frame but will do me for the several times a week I have to go to the shop and don't want to walk as it takes too long. Finding somewhere to park is a nightmare. It's not worth getting the bike out of the shed (a fight with all the other junk in there) but this opens very quickly and makes the trip to the local shop as quick. It'll live under the stairs and go with me in the boot of the car when we visit people too.

JC4LAB

Basic C Model Brompton...Bright red it attracts lots of attention.50 miles is no prob..trick is to keep your tyres as hard as you dare' then on smooth roads it flies....

Dahon Speed 8 . Cheap as chips ( bought in the US, ) and fast as hell around town. Also ride a Sirrus Comp and a Raven Nomad. The Dahon is first choice for anything urban and frenetic.
It also needs loads of maintenance which is good right???

pw2389

Bromptom M6R+. Absolutely perfect for the home - station + station - office run (each leg about 2 miles) and came in handy for going to see the TdF in Kent. :ohmy:

jay clock

Massive member
"Dahon Speed 8 . Cheap as chips ( bought in the US, ) and fast as hell around town."

Snap - exactly the same (a Speed p8, so I think the same). I got mine in NYC in Oct 05 and it doesn;t do many miles, but ideal for occasional trips. Hvae done one road ride of 45 miles on it without problems

asterix

Comrade Member
Another Brompton owner here - L5. It's mainly used round town as I wouldn't go very far on it. I did cycle from Kings X to Croydon and back about 3 years ago and hardly saw another cyclist. It was good fun - there was a real snarl up for some reason (could be normal for all I know) and I was the quickest vehicle on the road for most of the way back.

Johnny Thin

Dahon Helius from German eBay earlier this year, I use it to get to and from a partial lift into work (when I don't cycle it all), or lift in and cycle back; at the moment I've got rehearsals in South Brum which I can cycle to from Redditch, dead useful and will pay back what I spent on it eventually in saved fares. It also goes really nicely, in between a MTB and a tourer, I enjoy honking up the hills as I can't do that on my bents.

greenmark

Guru
Up until Tuesday I used to own a Giant folder which cost me £50 new. But now it's been tea leaved.

I'm now tossing up the idea of whether to buy another folder, buy a £10 non-folder from the local Carrefour hypermarket or spend £3 on a second hand bike.

gwhite

Über Member
I have an Airnimal Chameleon with a triple and intend to use it for light touring. It seems a fine bike, stiff and yet not uncomfortable. I rejected the idea of a rack and went for a SQR with a fair-sized saddlebag.

I have bought an EasyFold, aluminium frame, folds small with a bag that folds up into a small backpack when not being used. I have had the tyres changed for narrower kevlon coated tyres and changed the seat for a more cyle like one. Bought it for takeing in the motor home, but have two fullsized biked also.
this one has 16 inch wheels . Rode well on the thick tyres it has, but still waiting for it to come from the shop where the other tyres are on order, so don't know how they will handle.
Quite a cheap bike, but it only weighs 11km and has a rear carrier.
already had one guy shout "Get bigger wheels" Tosser! :-)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
velocipede2288 said:
I have an EZfold, aluminium frame, weighs ust 11kg. Put Kevlar tyres on it and a new seat and a bar end mirror. Only just had it, so haven't used it much. Haven't had a chance to use it on hills yet.
Bought it for convenience, to go on busses, trains etc.
It has 6 gears, derailer.
It has a nice bag to put it in, and this folds up into a small haversack.
Alan

what you own 3 of the same bike?

Top Bottom