How many people here ride Audax events?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

Just curious, having posted 'anyone here doing' type enquiries for a few events now. They seem to to go largely ignored. (as will this one probably ;))

vorsprung

Veteran
To be fair when you last posted about a 200k which isn't in my part of the country
("Alan Furley's Up the Downs Audax")
I was back at work for the first day after PBP, so I probably had other fish to fry

If you want to read a forum about audax, then then ACF is better than here. But I guess you know that ;)

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

I'm not complaining, just wondering if I should continue to enquire.

I am aware that ACF is the place for Audaxes, but I much prefer it here.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've done quite a few audaxes in the past, but for a number of reasons I haven't bothered recently: Firstly, I found it was encouraging my car use, as I travelled to 'interesting' events further and further afield. On the longer events I also really disliked being on the road after pubs closing on a Saturday night. Finally, driving home after long events was also a bit wierd - tiredness is supposed to be worse than drinking!

I'm sure I could have found a way of using public transport, etc, but after I had done PBP all the hassle just didn't seem worth it. There's plenty of good riding I can do from my door.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Having done PBP this year, I dont see myself doing more than 200ks for a while. 200 makes a nice long day's cycling without riding in the dark in the summer months and you can still afford to vary your pace a lot without suffering for it later.

Also I can drive home safely, I can cycle without having to worry about day and night clothing etc. etc.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My local CTC run one the day the clocks change which I'll probably do - done it a few times now. Except my mates are due to be having a sprog around then and I'll have to go and say hello to the new arrival (once it's arrived, as it were). So that's a definite 'Maybe'.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

So, its starting to look like there are a few of us, but not in my area. Oh well maybe I'll stop asking for now enquire again in the spring.

BTW - Congrats on the PBP bof! ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've ridden 24 Audaxes this year. 18 x 100km 1 x 150km, 4 x 200km and 1 x 60km. All of them in West Yorkshire, South Yorksshire and North Yorkshire. Plenty of activity but not in your neck of the wood I'm afraid.

redfox said:
That's still a yes then. ;)

What's a 'yes' ? Me saying 'yes' to your original Q of 'how many people ride audaxes ?'
- yes, definitely.
I said I'd done two, because that obviously qualifies me as an expert
...not !;)

I'll do more, but I'll be a bit picky and selective, I'll choose what I do.
I'm not going to join AUK and do one every other weekend or go for Super Randonneur or whatever it's called.

But I'll do some upto200K events as training rides, perticularly if they're not too far away and are in scenic areas.

I especially enjoyed Spring into the Dales earlier this year (perhaps it being in the early Summer heatwave we had in April helped) and I'll probably do that again next year.
The same organiser is doing Season of Mists this w/e and I might have done that too if I weren't already engaged.

Top Bottom