How many spacers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
They were in Thailand when I visited them last time. I suppose you've been?
They're spread across northern Thailand and Myanmar, with the Myanmar Kayan being a sub-tribe of the Karen (or something like that) - there are lots of groups in the region, with various names.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Going to get it cut to here, there is now loads of play in the headset and front forks, they move a lot! Will this be resolved once the forks are cut and everything tightened? I’m abit worried I’ve done something as I’ve never experienced that much movement of the front forks and headset before! :eek:
12A9D8DD-F329-4D30-954A-D8063F98B81D.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Play is probably quite normal provided you have the bearing cap components still in the right place and order with the expander wedge in place. It is the top cap that takes up the play when nipped up (NOT TIGHTENED!) and to test this before cutting the EDIT: stem steerer tube you can put the removed spacers back above the stem and tighten things up then ride the bike to make sure you are happy with the position.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
When you cut the steerer tube it needs to be 3-4mm below the top of the stem clamp so the top cap has clearance to pull down and remove the play without bottoming out on the steerer.

So I haven’t buggered it up then? Taking it to the bike shop tomorrow to get cut

Thanks for your help!

freiston

Veteran
If it's a 1 1/8" steerer, then why not use a clamping ring at the bottom - then you can play around with spacers and stems without having to disturb your bearing preload - like wot Sheldon Brown did: Threadless without spacers - despite the title, you can still use spacers ;)

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
71B08E01-36C0-4F62-9350-4F89E369C7D6.jpeg
Getting worked on...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have seen a bike with bars about 18 inches above the saddle at audax events round here. I was told that the rider has a very bad back and it is the only way that they can ride a conventional bike, so fair play to them!
Was is a Chopper? ^_^
Add another foot or so to a Chopper stem and the handlebar would be getting close to the bar height I saw! :eek:

PS Next time that I see the bike I will take a photo of it.
I didn't have to wait as long as I expected to ... I spotted the bike outside a cafe in Hebden Bridge today and asked the owner if she would mind me taking a picture of it. Here you go ...

High rise bars.jpg

I would be a bit worried about braking on sharp descents because of the forces that the bars would exert on the adjustable stem-extension combination, but I have seen the bike around this area for about 15 years now so it seems to be safe enough.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I didn't have to wait as long as I expected to ... I spotted the bike outside a cafe in Hebden Bridge today and asked the owner if she would mind me taking a picture of it. Here you go ...

View attachment 404355
I would be a bit worried about braking on sharp descents because of the forces that the bars would exert on the adjustable stem-extension combination, but I have seen the bike around this area for about 15 years now so it seems to be safe enough.
I've seen a guy with a similar set up on the odd sportive round here. It doesn't look the best, but if it allows them to ride due to back/other problems then fair play. I suppose they will get used to the different handling characteristics over time

#edit Talk of the devil, saw the guy today near Driffield on today's ride, but sadly didn't get a pic

Last edited:
Top Bottom