How many spare tubes do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The third bottle cage - under the down tube - is the receptacle for a couple of tubes on the audax bike. Except the fixed is also used for audax and hasn't a third cage, so I have to remember to put a couple in the rack-pack. The road bike has room for one. And I always carry a repair kit. Except when TTing.

dabeeeenster

2Loose said:
I carry no tubes... touches wood.

My commute is 5 miles each way and I have a kit in my desk at work and in my garage.
I ride through glass every day...any bets on how long I'll get away with this? 700 miles on my tyres so far and going strong...

(are the fairies listening, or am I blessed or a fool?)
Likewise - 7 miles and armadillo tyres, but with tubes and pumps at home and at work.

To shoreditch and back every day but havent had a puncture in over a year! Not sure if I'm tempting fate too much.

Where do people keep their pumps on their bikes? Carrying a tube is one thing, but a pump is another...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I carry the dummy water bottle thing on each bike now so it takes 2 tubes, tools, glueless patches, zip ties, gloves and anything else I cram in. If I need a second bottle then I just carry it in jersey pocket. I have contemplated a third bottle cage on each bike, under the down tube, for the storage bottle.

picture.php

Each bike has the same style pump fitted as well

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Panter said:
And on my thread too.

And, of course, I haven't got round to patching the aforementioned tube so I only have one spare today........

I don't know whether to don the Shimano SPD shoes or just cut straight to the walking boots for the journey home............................................

xx(

FFS :ohmy:

Front tyre this time.............. :sad:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
MacB said:
I carry the dummy water bottle thing on each bike now so it takes 2 tubes, tools, glueless patches, zip ties, gloves and anything else I cram in. If I need a second bottle then I just carry it in jersey pocket. I have contemplated a third bottle cage on each bike, under the down tube, for the storage bottle.
Each bike has the same style pump fitted as well

Do you happen to know if a third bottle mount can be easily drilled or would it damage the frame?

Seems like a good plan to me.

Re pumps, I carry Blackburn Mountain air's on all my bikes, road & MTB. They sit on a small bracket which fits the water bottle mount.
Technically they aren't capable of pumping to the pressures needed for a road tyre, I think they top out at 80psi but for ~ £10.00, aluminium bodied, with a lifetime guarantee and ultra reliable they're my pump of choice.
I've tried expensive high-pressure pumps before and they've been useless, at least the mountain air gets me home.

firvulag said:
One plus a repair kit.

Doing the ETAPE Caledonia next year so I guess I'll need a few hundred in a trailer behind the bike.
I did the Etape Caledonia this year and my one spare tube was sufficient but other folk weren't so lucky one chap I lent my pump to picked out 5 tacks and the mavic station run out of spare tubes.

nigelnorris

Since upgrading to my spesh tricross I haven't had a puncture, as in a steady deflation, just blowouts that have shredded the tube completely. I always carry two spare tubes, but I'm wondering if it's not just a waste carrying puncture repair stuff I'll never use if that's the way the tubes go.

GrasB

Veteran
I always have 2 or 3 spares on me plus a tyre (Continental Ultra Sport Kevlar folding which are s**t for puncture proofing but they at least can get me home in a pinch). I do however ride heaver than most people around.

Bristol Dave

Panter said:
Or would you carry if your commute was pretty remote and took in lots of leafy lanes etc.

Sounds like a seasonal thing. I guess with autumn coming on you will soon be unable to see the road surface with all the leaves etc. Maybe take an extra for a few weeks?

I carry one new tube and an old school repair kit. However I have a new tube in my locker at work plus one at home.

I would ask how much of a problem would it be for you if your bike became unusable due to punctures. Can you push it home easily or ring for help etc?

BD

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Bristol Dave said:
Sounds like a seasonal thing. I guess with autumn coming on you will soon be unable to see the road surface with all the leaves etc. Maybe take an extra for a few weeks?

I carry one new tube and an old school repair kit. However I have a new tube in my locker at work plus one at home.

I would ask how much of a problem would it be for you if your bike became unusable due to punctures. Can you push it home easily or ring for help etc?

BD

No, not really. Sods law dictates that incidents occur at about the middway point, which would mean an 8 mile walk either way which would be frustrating.
I've taken to carrying a few quid with my phone, and the plan is to call a cab if I have a major problem, but I obviously wouldn't want to do that just in the event of a couple of punctures.

Great idea to keep a spare tube at work, I don't know why I didn't think of that :smile:
Mind you, I'm going to carry two anyway, I'll just have to get a larger saddle bag (or an alternative) for next Summer when I'll then need both water bottles.

Top Bottom