How many spare tubes do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Or would you carry if your commute was pretty remote and took in lots of leafy lanes etc.

I've always carried two, as well as a repair kit, but am wonering if this is a bit OTT now that my tube replacing skills have improved to the point where I don't sometimes wreck a fresh tube by catching it on the rim or failing to remove a thorn etc.....

It's just a lot of extra bulk to carry so I'm wodering what you seasoned commuters would do?

jay clock

Massive member
a lot of extra bulk to carry
not really. Take two

bonj2

commuting, only one, plus parktools superpatches. I very rarely need even one, so i figure i would have to be VERY unlucky to need more, but having patches means i should have a reasonable surety of never getting stranded.
A (long) audax i might take two.
Sportives, i'll only take one with me, but a couple more spares in the car - lesson learnt from the last sportive where i was topping up the pressure and because my pump's got a new head on it, it's stiff to get off, so i stupidly tried to wiggle it off and managed to snap the tube's valve off - then when i replaced it i did it in a bit of a rush and must have pinched it, when i got to about 80psi - bang! two tubes gone. had to ask the organiser if he could sell me a couple more, he fortunately obliged.
If i'm going mtbing on my own i tend to take two or three, as i once had two snakebites at once before and i only had one spare! with other people i might risk only taking one.

bonj2

If i was you Panter, I would only take one, but take patches as well. If you often find yourself needing to use the patches, then start taking two tubes.

jonredhornet

John the Monkey said:
At the moment, one.

When I rode the Kenda Kontender tyres that came on the SCR2, I'd carry 3 or 4.

Heh, I have an SCR2 as well and those tyres are terrible for punctures. Feel really thin as well when you take them off.

I carry one spare for my commute but it's only 5.5 miles, anything longer I take two tubes. I can never be bothered to repair them, just tend to chuck them away when they go :smile:

gavintc

Guru
I only carry one on a training ride / commmute together with the bits and pieces for puncture repair. On a sportive, I will carry a second.

Regarding statistical probability of a puncture, I was providing service for a road race in East Lothian last week. 60 miles and 60 riders, so a total of 3600 miles covered. I was somewhat surprised to change 6 wheels (3 rear and 3 front).

garrilla

fossyant said:
Two and a kit for the commute.

+1

for those rare days where the first tube goes wrong, the 2nd spare is a godsend

and for those days when something happens to the 2nd spare, a repair kit is the perfect insurance

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
jonredhornet said:
Heh, I have an SCR2 as well and those tyres are terrible for punctures. Feel really thin as well when you take them off.
Very grippy though - I guess that's the trade off. I liked the wire on Schwalbe Stelvio better (25c, my lbs did a pair for £30).
I carry one spare for my commute but it's only 5.5 miles, anything longer I take two tubes. I can never be bothered to repair them, just tend to chuck them away when they go :tongue:
I'll have 'em!

I only bin tubes when they have long slits in them, the valve fails, or they're more patch than tube :biggrin:

garrilla

I try not to throw them away even if they are unsuable again as innertubes. Recent re-use as included as a sleave for a chain to stop the chain scratching a bike, bar tape on a kiddies bike stuck with a bit of PVE, and as a rope substitue in my poly-tunnel holding some staging to the structure.

Rassendyll

One and a repair kit.

On a very long ride or under pressure of time I might take two.

But in the unlikely event you get a second puncture you can repair the first tube. Once you start taking two, why not three, or four... :tongue:

Top Bottom