How many spare tubes do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
RichK said:
When I came back to cycling (2+ years ago) I was rather disappointed that repair kits don't come in metal tins any more ;)

I do like the Rema Touring & Rema Sport in their little boxes though. Decent quality patches as well.

D4VOW

On the road I don't carry any tubes or tools but I do carry 1 tube and various tools in a saddle bag on my MTB.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
four. But, they are very light and fold beautifully, so they, together with a repair kit, multi-tools and CO2 kit go in a little bag under my saddle...
DSC00054.jpg

My commute route includes 3 1/2 miles of bridleway and disused rail line, so i carry
2 plus repair kit and alien multi tool in a saddle pack which i swap from bike to bike. Just have to remember to change the tubes to correct size for the bike of the day.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, it's very helpful to hear what you would do.

Dellzeqq, that's a beautiful bike :angry: They must be very small tubes though, I struggle to fit everything in my top-peak saddlebag with just the two.

The idea earlier of strapping a tube underneath the saddle was a brilliant one, but despite struggling for some time, I just don't quite have the room under there.

I've decided to stick with two tubes, I've put the other in one of the water bottles as I only ever use one through the Winter anyway.

I was going to stick to one, but changed my mind cycling in this morning.
I have to travel through several quite wooded sections on the way in and already it's quite gloomy through there.
Despite being a hairy-arsed bloke, the thought of sitting amongst the trees in the dark with the wind howling through skeletal branches whilst the local fauna crashes and shreaks around me does not instill feelings of deep joy and contentment.

Actually, I wonder if I could fix a Brompton to a rucksack......................

bonj2

dellzeqq said:
four. But, they are very light and fold beautifully, so they, together with a repair kit, multi-tools and CO2 kit go in a little bag under my saddle...
DSC00054.jpg

little?:angry: that's still a heffer by my standards. this is small, as is this. Yours isn't small...
I judge a saddle bag on if it's big enough to need a strap round the seat post, it's bigger than you need for everyday use.

garrilla

Panter said:
Actually, I wonder if I could fix a Brompton to a rucksack......................

Yes is the answer.

I saw a bloke early in the summer coming of the gritstone edge near Fox House with a foldie on an old rucksack frame. He folded it out and headed off towards Hathersage.

But I beleive there is a special Brompton Backpack carrier also.

You may have problem with the switch over though, trying to fit your road bike to the back and carrying it on a foldie. However, I'd love to see this!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
garrilla said:
Yes is the answer.

I saw a bloke early in the summer coming of the gritstone edge near Fox House with a foldie on an old rucksack frame. He folded it out and headed off towards Hathersage.

But I beleive there is a special Brompton Backpack carrier also.

You may have problem with the switch over though, trying to fit your road bike to the back and carrying it on a foldie. However, I'd love to see this!

Worth a try when the wood creatures start amassing though :welcome: :biggrin:

bonj said:
little?:wacko: that's still a heffer by my standards. this is small, as is this. Yours isn't small...
I judge a saddle bag on if it's big enough to need a strap round the seat post, it's bigger than you need for everyday use.

They're very neat, especially the second one.

This is mine, and it's a very tight squeeze with all my guff in plus two tubes

saddlebag.jpg

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Two. For PfS I had them strapped into the elastic strapping under the saddlebag rather than inside it (so I could pack my camera instead); when I got home later I realised that I'd lost them both! New ones arrived Tuesday morning and put safely in the saddlebag along with puncture repair kit, multitool, tyre levers, CO2 inflator & 2 cartridges, and spare seatpost clamp (since I have a habit of shearing the bolts on them).

Lovely puncture on the way in this morning cause by a 3" length of wire; 2.8" of it had molded itself against the tyre, the other 0.2" had bent in at 90-degrees like the end of a staple and punctured me. First one I've had mid-ride since last year.

ChrisKH

Guru
goo_mason said:
Two. For PfS I had them strapped into the elastic strapping under the saddlebag rather than inside it (so I could pack my camera instead); when I got home later I realised that I'd lost them both! New ones arrived Tuesday morning and put safely in the saddlebag along with puncture repair kit, multitool, tyre levers, CO2 inflator & 2 cartridges, and spare seatpost clamp (since I have a habit of shearing the bolts on them).

Lovely puncture on the way in this morning cause by a 3" length of wire; 2.8" of it had molded itself against the tyre, the other 0.2" had bent in at 90-degrees like the end of a staple and punctured me. First one I've had mid-ride since last year.

That's it. It's like swine flu you know. Now we're all for it because you said 'it which must not be named'. The Voldemort of bicycle repair.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
ChrisKH said:
That's it. It's like swine flu you know. Now we're all for it because you said 'it which must not be named'. The Voldemort of bicycle repair.

And on my thread too.

And, of course, I haven't got round to patching the aforementioned tube so I only have one spare today........

I don't know whether to don the Shimano SPD shoes or just cut straight to the walking boots for the journey home............................................

:smile:

I carry no tubes... touches wood.

My commute is 5 miles each way and I have a kit in my desk at work and in my garage.
I ride through glass every day...any bets on how long I'll get away with this? 700 miles on my tyres so far and going strong...

(are the fairies listening, or am I blessed or a fool?)

purplepolly

2Loose said:
I carry no tubes... touches wood.

My commute is 5 miles each way and I have a kit in my desk at work and in my garage.
I ride through glass every day...any bets on how long I'll get away with this? 700 miles on my tyres so far and going strong...

xx( You've done it now, I said pretty much the same thing a few months ago. A week later - flat tyre and torrential rainstorm.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
John the Monkey said:
Very grippy though - I guess that's the trade off. I liked the wire on Schwalbe Stelvio better (25c, my lbs did a pair for £30).

I'll have 'em!

I only bin tubes when they have long slits in them, the valve fails, or they're more patch than tube xx(

I paid £9 each or the ones i had
The new ones, whatever they are called now, are something like £13 each though.
Not bad, had one on the front one on rear, now just got one on the rear for skidding, and a Gatorskin on the front.
I only carry one spare tube, got 2 bike shops near work.
Often been out with none, by accident:eek:
Been very lucky so far, only once gone out without one, and had a puncture.

Top Bottom