How many spare tubes do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...that's assuming your tubes don't get irretrievably damaged in some way, such as via valve failure. It's not that uncommon.

GAVSTER

I leave a tube under the saddle held with a lacky band as an emergency tube. The main spare is in the saddle bag.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
garrilla said:
I try not to throw them away even if they are unsuable again as innertubes. Recent re-use as included as a sleave for a chain to stop the chain scratching a bike, bar tape on a kiddies bike stuck with a bit of PVE, and as a rope substitue in my poly-tunnel holding some staging to the structure.

I use "sleeve" type lengths of unrepairable tube to hold spare batteries together in the bag on my commute. I used another bit to cover the valve hole on my Airtool Road pump to stop gunk getting in it. They really are very handy.

Perry

I have one but feel that I should carry two.

mojones

Three tubes in my pannier at the moment, but that's just because I bought a pack of three from the bike shop and haven't bothered unwrapping them yet. Normally I carry two - I reckon that between a change of clothes, packed lunch etc I'm already carrying quite a bit of weight so might as well have extra backup.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If I'm commuting on an Armadillo-shod bike, one.

If I take the crosser, two.

Longer rides: two

Patch kit? rarely. Touring only.

Maybe it ain't right, but it's what I do.

J4CKO

I did have two but helped out a fellow cyclist at work, he was sat there with his rusty heap of a bike with a long commute to do and no spare tubes, I lent him one of mine and he faithfully promised to bring me a replacement but none has arrived, so next time he can p1ss off, not bothered about the three quid but it doesnt fit with my way of doing things.

I have slime tubes at the moment so hoping to be spared a few, saying that, topped one up, came to it, flat so swapped it for a normal one to get to work, left it pumped up seemed fine, do they go flat if you dont shut the valve fully ?

biking_fox

Guru
two.

Trying to repair a tube at the roadside (esp in the rain) is no fun at all. It's quite easy to run both wheels over a thorn branch or draincover and wreck two tubes at once. Plus I'm still prone (even after many years) to pinching a tube when fitting it.;)

Top Bottom