How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
None since I started using them over 15 years ago
Not everyone has a clipless moment despite what some people say.

^ This.

Closest I got was when my chain once jumped into rear wheel and caused a lockup and sudden halt. Fortunately I managed to unclip just as I was falling into the verge!

Never, but that was before I wrote this...

Baldy

Über Member
On my road bike never, used clips with the old fashion straps for years. Tried clipless (SPD's) and thought "wow why didn't I try these years ago". Then I put some on my mountain bike, had the release set to tight and couldn't get out of them when I stopped. Fell slowly sideways into sheep poo.

Mike_P

Guru
Nearly on a couple of occasions, first was when I somehow clipped back in having unclipped and come to a stop at a roundabout; a not that great but nevertheless effective track stand followed. The other occasion I was pedalling so slowly in traffic I doubted I could unclip without having a clipless moment, and ended up edging slowly forward partly jumping red light at a cycleway crossing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats a fit issue. I have the same with pain on the outside of the knee (itb). Proper setup and it’ll go away.
Unfortunately not in my case, it’s a lack of knee flexion issue due to holes in the cartilage in all 3 compartments…aka widespread arthritis :okay:
thx anyhow

MoneyForNothing

I was in hay on wye. Near the centre t junction opposite a busy cafe, full of cyclists. Paused at the junction and tried to unclip, unsuccessfully and started the slow fall onto tarmac whilst everyone watched and had a free laugh at my expense.

TiffAching

Regular
The only time I properly ended up in a heap was after a walker ( there was 4 of them across the path and I rang my bell ) on a shared path side stepped in front of me without looking so I had to slam the brakes on & had no time to unclip. Was lucky there was no traffic as I fell in road. Cut my knees, elbow, bruises everywhere... And scratched the shifters... I did swear.

ExBrit

Über Member
Worst unclipping fail was while riding an unmaintained road called "Apache Trail" heading to Palm Springs. There was a huge trench across the road that I could not bunny hop so I took a slight detour into the desert shoulder, came to a stop, couldn't unclip, and fell sideways onto a cactus. The little bugger had barbed spines which I spent 15 minutes pulling out of my calf.

Update: I went back on Google maps and apparently its official name is Johnson Lane. I'm not sure why we all call it Apache Trail. Looks like CalTrans dumped some gravel in the trench. I have been intimate with that cactus to the right of the phone pole.

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Thats a fit issue. I have the same with pain on the outside of the knee (itb). Proper setup and it’ll go away.

Im having this exact issue after moving to clipless recently. Tried all kinds of cleat positions to no avail. Not so bad on the actual ride, more the 3 days after thats doing me in.
Wondering if a bike fit is in order or some advice on here?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have had a couple of harmless falls on MTB tracks where I came to an unexpected stop and didn't unclip in time. It's been a long time since the last one though.

I did once have a near-miss with potentially huge consequences. The company I work for arranges an annual road sportive for its employees and makes a big thing of it. A guest speaker is brought in to generate interest and motivate the riders. On the day of the ride I was on my bike heading slowly towards the start - I was cycling slowly because there were pedestrians and other cyclists moving about. A pair of pedestrians in particular caused me to slow to a near stop to allow them to pass; I unclipped my left pedal but over-balanced to the right, causing me to start leaning towards the pedestrians with the likelihood of hitting them. Luckily I run my SPD pedals not too tight so the panicked attempt to unclip on the right worked just in time to avoid any contact, but not in time to avoid my embarrassment. The pedestrians looked a bit bemused and not a little amused at my predicament. Ladies and gentlemen, the pedestrians were Lizzie Armitstead (as she was then) and her agent - I nearly ended either her career or mine.

Top Bottom