How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Three times if I remember right. No-one told me that the clips came factory fitted as tight as possible and that you could loosen them. :rolleyes:
You may have just been unlucky. Not all pedals are set to the tightest from the outset. But I did buy a pair of Look Delta pedals that were extremely tight.

Lovacott

Über Member
I tried using clipped pedals on my old Raleigh racer back in the 1990's and I didn't get on with them at all.

As soon as my Boardman arrives, I'm taking off the supplied clipped pedals and putting on a pair of MTB flats.

If I'm going to be commuting on an MTB and using a road bike at the weekends, I don't want to have to remember which bike I'm on when it comes to taking my foot off the pedal at traffic lights.

Lovacott

Über Member
I got a text from Halfarts this morning telling me "your order is ready to collect".

As I wasn't expecting it to be ready until next Saturday, I rang the branch local number only to be directed to a national call centre and put on hold for about ten minutes to the sound of the most grating bit of modern jazz I have ever heard.

The person who answered the phone asked for my order number and then put me on hold for another ten minutes whilst he checked with the local store (which is the bit I was trying to do when I dialled the local number).

Turns out that "ready to collect" means that the item has arrived in store and that I should await a further text telling me that the bike has been built before going in to collect it. The build is scheduled for next Friday PM/ Saturday AM.

So I asked why the words "ready to collect" were used instead of the words "not ready to collect yet" and I got the answer "ready to collect means that the item has arrived in store, but if it needs a build, you will have to wait before you can collect it".

The call handler went on to say that I shouldn't be embarrassed by my mistake as I am not the only person to have been confused by the "ready to collect" message.

You don't Feeking say!!

This is a snip of my order status four hours later. Ready for collection now means ready for collection Tuesday but apparently Tuesday means next Saturday??

FML :angry:

1612623347478.png

Fallen off 5 times in last 6 years due to not unclipping, including once last year when I stopped to talk to a friend and totally forgot and I ended up in a heap on the road.
I did laugh.

WILL911

MY Solicitors mate a local headmaster both are guys who use my servicing skills, a few years back the head mentioned needing a smart touring bike for a French holiday wife and kids all cyclists and all aboard his SUV at July holiday time, so I sold him one I had rebuilt and he landed with me day he was setting off for the boat, says stick those spd pedals on please ,I pleaded with him not to use them until he felt confident using them and abroad on a touring cycle holiday in my experience isn't the place to try them out, he insisted, off he went, ran into my solicitor some weeks after [in fact he was here this afternoon looking for a service] and asked about'' your man'' ....So Will first day up at 8 am out to practice on the bike in the caravan site entrance and ajoining cycle ways, car approaches he's on the wrong side of the road panics cannot get feet out falls hard on right elbow, ambulance hospital broken elbow, pain suffering and listening to her indoors saying ,will said not to and i'm fed up driving... haven't seen him in for service since... will

Gibbo9

Veteran
A few times as I recall.

First time was in my local high street, busy Saturday morning trundling along behind a car and the lights changed so he braked suddenly, so did I and couldn't unclip quickly enough and ended up falling into the middle of the road, fortunate no cars coming the other way.

Second time was caused by another cyclist whilst riding in a group. we were going through a park which was very busy so going really slow, guy in front just stopped and I ran into him and went over.

Other time was just last week and was again caused by another cyclist. I was turning right to join a ramp from the riverside up onto a bridge so I could cross the river. I had my left foot out and as I turned the corner another cyclist coming down the ramp at breakneck speed, I jammed on the brakes, even though I was hardly moving. As I was turning right my weight went to the right side and with my left foot out I went over. Hundreds of people about too as it was such a lovely day. I did laugh though, after cursing the disappearing cyclist.

Cymro74

Only once, when starting out clipless. Strange situation on an NCN path due to horse rider screaming over her shoulder at me and other cyclists who had already slowed to walking pace 20m behind, yet she still wanted us to stop completely for no apparent reason.

Over the decades I have evolved from flat pedals, to toe clips to SPD. I am now completely in favour of SPD and recognise the advantage they give. My brain automatically twists and unclips my left foot before junctions or any hazard, with my right foot remaining at 6 o clock to balance myself as the left foot comes down to the ground. I don't always clip back in on the first pedal rotation, but I've never found this to cause a problem.

Luckily, never. Once very nearly though. I was down in Cornwall and had to stop at a very minor junction near the sea. I had just unclipped my left foot but not put it down when a strong gust of wind hit me from the left pushing me towards falling on the right. A lot of gymnastics and weight moving just managed to save me falling.

Only a couple of times on road bike.
Lost count on gravel bike.

The only reason for all of them was not unclipping in time when bike came to a complete stop. I think it has happened more on gravel bike because there are more unexpected complete stops on trails than roads

I've been cycling for almost 2 years. I started with flat pedals for the first 3-4 months, then I replaced them for spd pedals (2 bolts cleats). Now I have a second bike with spd-sl pedals (3 bolts cleats).

I never had any problem clipping/unclipping and I haven't fallen off yet.

I think it just depends on the person and how your brain works/reacts. I say this because my father in law has been using spd pedals for 3 years now and still takes a tumble regularly every 2-3 months.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Second ride out on them, a week ago :blush:
Very new to them, was trying to judge traffic and lights going too slow. Managed to unclip left foot for the kerb but shifted my weight wrong and ended up in a heap in the middle of the road on my right hand side. Pride dented and my knee, not helped by the very attractive brunette who was kind enough to make sure I was ok, then told the van driver behind to stop beeping his horn to go as she was making sure I was ok.
I just wanted to pick myself up and get out of there but hey its a learning curve and people are nice (generally) :rolleyes:

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

Buck

Guru
I failed to unclip a few years ago at a junction - just couldn’t get my shoe out In time. Toppled over in slowmo as a workvan with three lads in pulled up behind me.

Me: nothing to see here, move on. Pretend it didn’t happen. Ignore the left side aches!
Van guys: chuckling “did you see that!?”

BigSid

Guru
I fell over at the end of my first ride with SPDs. On my driveway. Into the hedge. Apparently it was very funny according to my neighbour.
My foot was stuck under the bike so I couldn't rotate my foot to unclip.
I spent what seemed like a lifetime trying to get up before my neighbour shouted across "Are you OK?"
"Not really. Can you come and get my foot out of my shoe?"
How we laughed.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Once* (and it was years after starting to use them)

*This does not include practising cyclocross dismounts or anything involving snow. Also- the one time I did fall off on the road I got my left foot out just fine, but then tipped over to the right- so perhaps a different sort of failure.

Top Bottom