How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The idea of a pedestrian/cycling shared path is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians.
Quite possibly...don't use if too problematic...I've never found them especially dangerous as a cyclist, simply have to be considerate and have your wits about you!! (and avoid on warm sunny days)

Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The idea of a pedestrian/cycling shared path is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians.
Its not dangerous at all. And if cyclists think that then they are cycling too fast. Shared path is a shared space which has shared responsibility. Slow down.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Its not dangerous at all. And if cyclists think that then they are cycling too fast. Shared path is a shared space which has shared responsibility. Slow down.
I am cycling very slow but it is so crowded that it is very difficult to cycle through, it is impossible to cycle round people as there are people going in both directions.

I hear ya, but near me, they aren't all bad. 1 that I do, can be very bad & a cpl yrs ago, it featured a bike-to-bike, head-on crash where 1 guy died. I ride by the memorial, ghost-bike all the time
MM ghost bike.jpg

it's a grim reminder. last spring with covid, & so many using it, I had to bail out & use the roads. it's much better in the cold weather, w/ fewer ppl. another near me, is much less populated, but is not w/o it's "incidents". w/ covid, even the woods are crowded! timing is everything

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Twice for me, once out with the family, simply forgot to unclip - much hilarity for the children, and once whilst stopped leaning on a post chatting with another cyclist - obviously went slightly past balance point and toppled. Not hurt in either incident but bent the rear derailleur hanger in the second and had a noisy / worrying 20km home :rolleyes:

simongt

Guru
Three times in twenty years, including the time I was rear ended and had a broken leg as the result. Each time my feet released without any 'concious thought' from myself during the fall. :thumbsup:

Clipping in and out can be a trial for some people though I have only fallen once when first using them, a strange feeling as though it all was happening in slow motion i was franticly trying to unclip but to no avail you could say I was going down slow lol (later finding the tension was far to tight)
I've tried them all And seem to get on best with Time pedals also the double sided SPD type so when I've ridden bikes just with flat pedals it seems really strange

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I was so disorientated from cycling into a pothole that I didn't even realise I was keeling over, until far too late. That hurt., but was my only bad experience of toe straps.

SPDs - never fallen yet, but I'm a fan of keeping the adjustments loose - just in case!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Clipping in and out can be a trial for some people though I have only fallen once when first using them, a strange feeling as though it all was happening in slow motion i was franticly trying to unclip but to no avail you could say I was going down slow lol (later finding the tension was far to tight)
I've tried them all And seem to get on best with Time pedals also the double sided SPD type so when I've ridden bikes just with flat pedals it seems really strange
For me it happened fast, it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be but it was unpleasant nonetheless. I have single sided pedals and that's not a problem for me, they are very easy to quickly flip with your foot and it is easy to clip in the other foot whilst in motion. I always find the 1st foot the hardest to clip in. I went on a short ride today and had no falls 🥳

dodss

Veteran
In early usage I toppled over in my own drive way. Over the years I toppled over at junction - too busy looking for traffic in all the directions; toppled over with wheel in pothole at the side of the road, sprung the rib cartilage that time as I went over onto the shoulder.
Unclip early at any obstruction or road change is my mantra.

Top Bottom