How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I went to cliplesss at the same time I was learning fixed gear.. Until I habituated unclipping a bit early there were many times I came to a stop to only then think....Pedals? and slowly topple over. Injured pride mostly.

Hope the tomatoes were all right.

Oh the shame... I had to ride the three miles home, dripping a trail of tomato juice behind me, while White Van Man, who had caused me to misjudge the junction, sat there pissing himself with laughter. :blush:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sharing a lesson identified (and mostly learnt):
Quite often you'll be stationary, clipped in one side but not the other (I nearly always unclip my left foot: pavement side). If manoeuvring eg after having stopped at the roadside just into a 'gateway/turning (regular occurrence on long rides when keeping hydrated) take particular care as you turn your bike to get back on the road. It is easy to fall inwards (ie to the right in my case) and you won't unclip in time to 'stop' it.
Of course provided noone sees it never happened.
Worth practising unclipping both left foot first and right foot first.

My last time: at 1380km with 90 minutes to go on LEL, just after dusk.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Once, on London to Brighton about 15 years ago. At a roundabout somewhere in South London in front of what felt like hundreds of cyclists. I thought I'd be really cool and not unclip, and instead lean on the yellow beacon at the entrance to said roundabout as we waited for the traffic to clear. I didn't realise it was a spring-loaded one, so it just bent away from me and down I went.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just the once but it was onto a high grass verge. I had 2 bolt cleats on MTB and 1 bolt had fallen out. So when I tried to unclip foot twisted but cleat stayed put. Couldn't think quick enough to use other foot.
Had a few panicky close runs with 3 bolts on road bikes. I have 3 road bikes all with SPD SL pedals and MTB with SPD. All cleats now have threadlock.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only a few times, once because some wire looped round my shoe, and tyre then ran over wire pulling it tight. Other times have been at home turning onto the path and just toppled.

Lovacott

Über Member
I’m back to flat pedals now as not enough bend in knee to pedal clipped in

I used to have clips on my racer back in the '90's but I took them off and I've been on flats ever since.

For knocking about and commuting, flat pedals do everything I want them to.

For the more serious rider looking at competing or breaking PB's, I can see why they would want clipless or clipped but I can't see any benefit for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to have clips on my racer back in the '90's but I took them off and I've been on flats ever since.

For knocking about and commuting, flat pedals do everything I want them to.

For the more serious rider looking at competing or breaking PB's, I can see why they would want clipless or clipped but I can't see any benefit for me.
I like using them...I don’t much like the excruciating knee pain though

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
About five times, each due to being distracted by something. The first time was in a car-free part of Battersea, about five minutes into my very first clipless journey. I noticed a girl staring at her bike looking helpless so I stopped to help, forgetting about the new pedal arrangement, and fell slowly sides. I lay on the ground with the bike still firmly attached to both feet and howled with laughter, as did the handful of witnesses.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Three or four times where ive actually completely fallen.

More times then i can count where the car in front suddenly stops and im going slow enough to barely keep my balance and would have went over had i not been using SH-56 cleats.

I often get these brown trouser moments time to time.

steven1988

Veteran
2 both on the same ride, i wore SPDs for the first time on a sportive in Bakewell. 1st time was when i couldn't get out while waiting for my friend, and fell into a ladies drive who was just driving out.

Second time was at the top of the same hill when i unclipped right and fell to the left straight into the biggest patch of nettles, never done it again

Top Bottom