How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not happened (yet) on the road as I got it out of my system while practicing indoors when I first got clipless pedals. For some reason I twice unclipped the wrong side while setting the teson screw, but at least it was on to a carpeted floor.

Jonjay

Über Member
same here. Only had clipless since Christmas and been fine on the road so far. Fell off left when practicing and playing with tension indoors. Just got out before fully hitting the deck but I was most of the way down and in a big panic 😂
Not happened (yet) on the road as I got it out of my system while practicing indoors when I first got clipless pedals. For some reason I twice unclipped the wrong side while setting the teson screw, but at least it was on to a carpeted floor.

Sharky

Guru
And what was the cause/situation? e.g. trouble clipping in or clipping out?
Wondered how soon you would ask this question!

Has happened to me, but the scariest moment was when I was descending and cornering on a tandem trike. I was leaning well over to the side and my foot came out of the clip. Could have been disastrous, but my leg held fast against the cross bar and I was able to reclip.

Been using SPD's since the early 90's, have fallen off when un-clipping a few times maybe 4-5 and also a once or twice with 3 bolt SL's and i'll fall of some more yet as "sh1t" happens and you're going to fall, it's life.

Only ever hurt my pride when falling off/down in a pedal embarrassment moment;)

Beetroot is really good. 😊
We'll have to agree to disagree!

johnnyb47

Guru
I've only been using clip less peddles since summer 2020.
It's been OK and have only had one embarrassing moment when a car made an unexpected turn sending me into panic mode. It was a quick reaction to take my foot off the pedal and forgetting they were clipped in. No harm done apart from feeling a bit of a burk🤣

Zipp2001

Veteran
Never, but I was on a group ride many years back and watched several riders panic and go down at an intersection. Instead of panicking they could have gently rolled thru the intersection via a right turn until the got unclipped.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Four times in 12 years.
1. Unclipped left foot out but didn't get foot down fast enough then fell slowly and majestically on to my right side
2. Swerved to miss Mrs A_T when she stopped and I didn't... disappeared into a ditch upside down.
3. Fell over sideways after failing to unclip at a roundabout into the long grass on the verge and disappeared into a ditch upside down- still; clipped in- to the absolute delight of a small child watching me in the car alongside [sensing a theme], and,
4. labrador on a long lead ran across in front of me - stopped OK but in the rush failed to unclip and fell slowly to my right onto a raised kerb- fortunately didn't break anything.

Last edited:
It's possible that I've had more than one clipless pratfall, but the only memorable one is the first: slight uphill on approach to a busy roundabout at morning rush hour, within a few days of getting SPD-SLs. I forgot to unclip in time and just sort of... toppled over, with lots of people watching :cry:
1610929190924.png

Top Bottom