How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
when the cleat came loose and wouldn't come out
that sounds terrifying

I've had more moments with clips and straps than clipless, but as, at the best of times, I have all the grace and co-ordination of a drunken buffalo it would not be fair to draw any general conclusions from this:blush:

Also done the bolt loose cannot clip out thing: make sure your bolts are tight, at least until they rust in and you don't have to worry any more:okay:

Bigsteve4

And what was the cause/situation? e.g. trouble clipping in or clipping out?
Ive only just started with road cleats after many years of old school cage and straps. I tried the mtb cleat which i could not get into quick enough and having one sided pedals i slip off them at a junction with wet shoes. I ended up on my cross bar hit the curb and rolled over. The worst bit i ripped a brand new pair a bib tights first time i had them on. I now use road cleats and i love them.

Fram

Clipless, never.

With my old straps, once when I first rode with them in the early 80's, at a set of traffic lights (classic fail), so I suppose that's was my "clipless" moment.
Same here: my straps caught on my boot when I stopped for a neighbour's car at a passing place on our single track road. She was most concerned when I plunged sideways into the heather - only damaging my pride! SPDs have been a breeze in comparison🤞

I only fell two times because i changed again on my previous flat pedals :laugh::laugh::laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Fell twice :sad: in a crowded park couldn't get going at a crossing as there were too many people and the cycling paths was full of pedestrians who wouldn't make space despite me ringing the bell. I think I will stick to main roads as they are a lot more predictable.
In crowded spaces, it's often better to either avoid as you say, or simply ride through unclipped in anticipation of an obstacle. At crossings, it's often safer to simply get off, walk across and then clip in even if it's a Toucan (peds + bike crossing).

Coming up to junctions and crowds, always unclip in plenty of time :okay:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

In crowded spaces, it's often better to either avoid as you say, or simply ride through unclipped in anticipation of an obstacle. At crossings, it's often safer to simply get off, walk across and then clip in even if it's a Toucan (peds + bike crossing).

Coming up to junctions and crowds, always unclip in plenty of time :okay:
Thank you for your tips :smile:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

To add, on a shared path, peds always have priority even if you ring your bell (even if it’s frustrating when they don’t move)
The idea of a pedestrian/cycling shared path is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians.

Top Bottom