How many times have you come off your bike your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomGuile

Regular
Having came off my bike last week, and competey ripping the handle bar tape on the right side, off my brand new bike(don't have enough to replace the handle bar tape, sadly), im interested to know how many times you guys have come off your bikes. Did it knock your confidence? How did you recover if it did? How did you come off the bike in the first place?

Big Nick

Once so far, totally my own fault, felt stupid, smashed helmet, ripped jacket, ripped bibs, massive bruise on arse cheek and deep gravel rash on arms and legs

The bike faired far better with a small scratch on the top tube and a scuff on the rear mech!

stuee147

iv lost count of the times iv come off my bikes over the years countless slides skids and potholes have caught me unaware and iv been hit by a lorry and 2 cars one of which landed me in hospital for 3 weeks i was going around a round about and a car came onto said roundabout doing about 60mph according to the 10 or so witnesses including 2 very nice police men in a car that was travelling behind me there was no way the driver of the car could deny it was his fault although he did try and sue me for all the damage my body had done to his car. needless to say that when i took him to court he lost lol.
as for confidence yea in a way it did knock me a bit it was a few mouths before i could even try to get on a bike due to injury's but as soon as i could i was back on a bike. infact i remember taking my new bike on the train to the hospital to have the last of the casts taken off lol i cant say i was that bothered about it but i did always bypass that roundabout after that

KneesUp

Guru
I've been over the handlebars twice - both my own fault. After the second one (I was 15) I pushed my bike another mile to the leisure centre and played a game of squash with bloodied knee, elbow and chest. I lost. Then I pushed my bike 3 miles home. I don't think I'd be that resilient now! In those days the only alternatives to going by bike were a) getting a bus - this involved a long walk to the bus stop, waiting about a bit, paying money and having another walk at the other end b) walking or c) not going anywhere. I got back on my bike pretty quickly. It's easier not to when you have option d) drive yourself whilst listening to your own music in climate-controlled air, in a comfortable seat.

Cameronmu917772

Came of on Friday just past there doing aprox 1 mph. Adopted the drop tuck and roll position and finally un clipped as I approached landing. Was a terrific time and all of the cars that drove by got a laugh at least haha lesson learnt by me blind junctions are a night mare and all that was hurt was my ego lol

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
6 times that stick in the memory in 30+ years, 2 my fault, 3 not and a mechanical. 2 serious ones, the last one has done my knee no good at all and I'm trying to time my next operation to the world cup and hopefully a few weeks convalescing whilst it's sunny.

My vintage year has to be when I won Cambridge CC's stabiliser trophy, not an easy one to acquire, your "offs" had to be witnessed and it definitely helped if a reverse somersault with pike was thrown in to impress. I remember 3 of them; through the back window of a hatchback car and writing off my titanium bike; flipping a somersault still attached to bike into a very deep ditch, briefly unconscious; hitting a blind man who stepped out in front of me without warning because he didn't hear anything. Yes, my bike was that silent.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I came off the bike a few times in my younger years but only once in the last twenty years(apart from to be expected clipless moments) touchwood!
No i tell a lie! I came off last year after riding into a parked car while i was going uphill at about 11mph. I had my head down then felt the thud and fell over. Thankfully no one was watching!:blush:

vickster

Legendary Member
Three times in my adult life, twice my bike fared far better than my left leg :sad:

Once came a cropper trying to avoid a pedestrian on a cycle path (she was fine), once I misjudged a turn into a rec and managed to hoopla the bike around a post :blush:, most recently a car knocked me off :sad: I am still recovering from the surgery that followed and 7 weeks on I am still (pretty much) off the bike. Given how it happened, yes I am nervous cycling especially when cars pass and oddly, when I am driving and passing cyclists! :sad:

I have damage to my knee following the first accident which was 4.5 years ago

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can't remember all the offs. Mostly minor, wet leaves, misjudged turns, etc. I hit a pothole whilst signalling causing my worst one, and so now I don't like signalling on poor road surfaces, and actually you often don't need to, if you make good eye contact. I often find that I'm not too keen on the junctions where I have had my offs and take a bit extra care there.

I've only had two memorable offs...a few years back I got clipped by a car and fell resulting in taking the skin off both palms (now wear gloves/mitts for every journey!) and the second, car blinded me by putting it's full beam on just as I got in front of it and I ended up in a ditch by the road! Neither car stopped but at the least the first one slowed down slightly to check that I got back up!
Made myself get up and on the bike the very next day although I was a bit nervous!

MikeG

Guru
In my childhood.......countless times. In adulthood, once at about 2 mph 20 years ago, nothing for 20 years, then 3 times in the last 6 months. The funniest one was going downhill at a reasonable pace when a 6 foot branch (thicker than my arm) blew off a tree and hit me across the upper arms and chest, sending me straight into a ditch. I was 20 miles from home, but completely unharmed.

Sara_H

Guru
All my sudden unintended dismounts have occurred when stationary, usually when reaching to push a toucan button r something similar.

Top Bottom