How many times have you come off your bike your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Wood is being touched whilst writing this... I haven't once come off... I know when I do, it's gonna hurt real bad. Shouldn't have posted, biggest jinx of all!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plenty. Skinned arse, broken hand, wrecked shoulder, skinned shoulder, and a stack of comedy falls with MTB's. The best being the front end bogging down, and me going over the bars and landed on my feet - couldn't repeat that if I tried. Broken hand had me doing a superman impression after a left hook. Fortunately I missed the scaffolding round the shop, but the bike wrapped itself around one pole - written off frame.

Venod

Eh up
The fixie threw me off after I relaxed after turning out of a 10 mile headwind , (road rash & damaged little finger)

Touched wheels on coming into a roundabout on the chain gang, whose fault was it ? (severe road rash & ruined clothing)

Lost it on a sharp bend, diesel on road (road rash)

I have fallen of the MTB more times than I care to remember once straight over the bars, the worse MTB was a pedal down the shin. I couldn't believe the size the lump it produced.

All were a shock at the time, but I am still riding, still mostly without a helmet except when forced to wear one to take part.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Quite a lot; biggie when I was 8, a few since then, a fall on ice in 2012 and then 4 last year - 1 my fault.
  1. Feb - pedestrian running out in the dark, in black = sore ankle; :cycle:
  2. June - taken out in the Manchester Great Cycle = ouch; :gun:
  3. Sept - fell off coming down Sutton Bank at speed and got straight back on = fortunatly no damage/injuries :unsure:
  4. Dec - blown across a road in Leeds due to building design = whiplash / bike U-shaped :B)
But none so far this year. :wahhey:

Your confidence does come back, albeit slowly. The best thing is to get back on and start riding again, but slower and steadier.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Wood is being touched whilst writing this... I haven't once come off... I know when I do, it's gonna hurt real bad. Shouldn't have posted, biggest jinx of all!
Yep, it's almost as bad a sin as mentioning the word 'puncture' :evil:.

I've come off a few times since starting cycling as a kid, but for some odd reason, never dented my cranium. Face, arms, legs, etc, but never the noggin.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
I'm not even going to try and remember all the crashes from the years I spent mountain biking, but since I started road riding I have:
Hit a tree coming down a slippery sharp hill, resulting in a buckled front wheel and smashed STI lever on a nearly new bike. Oh, and I spent the evening in hospital... (I'm ok now though)
Then a few months ago, I managed to have two crashes on the same ride... I had an unclipping mishap right next to @Globalti which prompted a bit of shouting from him. Earlier in the ride whilst climbing my chain snapped and the bike threw me straight onto my side. It's an understatement to say it hurt.
Fingers crossed for no more "incidents" although today I will be visiting the Manchester velodrome. :unsure:

Labradorofperception

Used my face as a brake on a descent in the Cairgorms while mouintain biking. Heals arse head ambulance. I was recovered by the nice mountain rescue chaps and taken to Aberdeen Royal and there had the left side of my face rebuilt.

I looked like a well used dog toy and have numerous plates and screws holding me together. My balance has never been right since, which can make life interesting on the TT bike at times.

Davos87

Guru
Had a few embarrassing offs when going over to clip less pedals One particularly memorable one outside a packed pub a couple of years ago when setting off after a couple of pints I hit a bit of very deep gravel, came to a stop and couldn't unclip in time. Bruised ego and all that.
Went over the handlebars and into a ditch when a dog went for me snapping at my ankles. The lady owner was very apologetic.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Twice. Both on my left.

Once turning through some bollards on a tight turn, and hit some black ice.
Second, clipless moment :blush:

The ice was months and months ago, and my knee is still red and pink :thumbsdown:

Crankarm

Guru
If you find it difficult staying upright then buy a helmet, elbow and knee pads and wear gloves/mitts. Might be an idea to get some personal accident insurance or life insurance as well but make sure cycling is covered.

too many times to even recall all of them over the years
- some my fault: learning new tricks on a mtb, came off breaking 3 ribs, smashing my helmet, black eye etc... failing to recognise pitflls of grids as a kid (laid horizontal to curb, not perpendicular)
- some not my fault: been hit by a car turning left across my path, luckily had an 'off duty' police officer and a neurologist as eye witnesses which useful because I was unconscious, also been taken out by a cyclist who was trying to be helpful :wacko:
- some just unavoidable: downhill descent on mtb and a hole filled with leaves in the autumn and I went over handlebars

Confidence comes back slowly just like healing takes longer as you grow older.

Came of yesterday while going over a level crossing two miles into a 73 mile sportive, ouch was not my first word choice. I carried on and finished,only had a small hole in my bibs on the knee but when I got home and had a proper look, huge cut and blood everywhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dozens and dozens of falls in 20 years of mountain biking; most of them harmless low-speed tumbles on grass or heather. However a good friend of mine killed himself last Autumn on Skiddaw; it's thought he went over the bars and broke his neck.

So far in 4 years of road cycling, only a couple of elbow-skinners at slow speed on black ice. I'm still waiting for the big one but am hoping that the mountain biking and 12 years as a motorcycling hooligan have honed my handling skills.

paul04

Über Member
3 times.
1, a clipless moment(miss-timed the traffic lights)
2, crossing the tram tracks and got the back wheel stuck in the track and me and the bike went our separate ways:sad:
3, knocked off by a car driver, both me and the bike was ok, driver over took me then decided to turn left, leaving me with no where to go, apart from hit the side of the car.

4 memorable ones, as a child I was riding a bike meant for someone older and went over the handlebars leaving no skin on my face, as an adult through the rear window first taking the wiper in the forehead of a car when it overtook and then stopped abruptly in front of me, over the bonnet of a car that pulled out which actually wasn't that bad and finally last year I hit some oil on the road and ended up with gravel rash, badly bruised knees and fingers that got caught between the road and handlebars.

Top Bottom