How many times have you come off your bike your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
3 times in the past 12 months. Twice when I haven't unclipped quickly enough & once when I was knocked off by a car at a roundabout. The un-clippings I just laughed off & when I was knocked off I was back on the bike a few days later but more than a little wary at roundabouts & junctions.

50000tears

3 since I started cycling last June. Two clipping in, rather than clipping out at low speeds. Both times failed to get my left foot clipped in going uphill and when I tried to put it back on the floor my weight was on the right side and comedy falls ensued. First of these on rough gravel so cut up my leg nicely. 3rd time was me misjudging a corner and I bailed out onto a handy grass verge.

Only bad fall was straight over the handlebars on a fast decent as a kid. Got badly bashed up but only broke my nose and was back from casualty counting how may cuts and scrapes I had the same evening.

Garethgas

I've never actually fallen off my bike on over 50 yrs.
I have, however, fallen into it in a drunken stupor more times than I care to admit, much to the amusement of all passers by.

TVC

Just twice, the first a clipless roll to the right where only my pride was hurt. The second was when I was helped off the bike by a car at high speed. It was four long months before I was repaired enough to get back on two wheels, but it never effected my confidence.

Ste pt1

Come of twice in the last year ( only started last feb) 1 was my fault failed to clip out when getting up a hill in my hybrid 2 nd one I did a bike ride last year and I got clipped by a van man luckily I landed on the pavement I laughed about it at the time but realised it could have been more serious

4 times last year, 3 of which were at very low speeds when I didn't get unclipped in time. It's not so bad when do it out in the countryside but in a town at traffic lights beside a queue of cars makes you feel very silly.
The 4th time I was doing nearly 20mph and got too close to the kerb and clipped it making me come off in a heap on to the pavement. I got away with only a bruise of my hip and a grazed arm. I got back on the back after cleaning myself up and rode on. Hip was sore the following day especially when I was playing 5-a-side and got hit on it when I was in nets.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Had several minor falls.Only really scary one was on a muddy road tried to turn but bike just went straight on before me going over the top onto the tarmac. Bus driver stopped to check I was still breathing but incredibly very little damage to bike or me.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I'm a life long cyclist with a history of BMX, MTB and cyclocross so more times than I can remember,
Once in the last 15 years on the road..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not too many. Had a big off when I was 19 or so - broke my collarbone and totalled the bike. Various daft crashes when I was young, usually as a result of arsing about. And a few unexpected slidey moments in snow, which resulted in no injuries but a certain amount of cold wetness.

Leodis

Veteran
3 times, once slipped on wet leaves, other took a corner faster than my ability and t'other was left hooked by car, its a occupational hazard.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Twice in the last three years, both times on ice, no one else involved, in my youth there were plenty of of's but i used to bounce better in them days.^_^

OP
OP
T

TomGuile

Regular
To add to the discussion, I've come off three times. The first being on my hybrid, I braked at ant junction, used one brake instead of two, tyres skidded and the bike did a back flip with me on top. The second, I don't know what happened but I ended up on the road and the third I failed to take my feet out my toe clips in time to stop, skidded, and went down, luckily with no injuries.

3 times since I started cycling again....
1st..... was my inexperience, stopping to quickly and catching the kerb with a pedal

2nd.... was when trying getting out the way of a siren blaring ambulance.... it was a narrow fast road with on coming traffic and the kerb wasn't as low as I thought it was (The ambulance then slowed down to check I was okay... I waved him on swiftly)

3rd.... Was my first (and only so-far) clip-less moment (12 months after going clipless:whistle:..... new bike though with different tension setting)
On each occasion I got straight back on and forgot about it 2 minutes later

As a kid......... loads of times still got some of the scars (but as a young-un I seemed to bounce better)

Top Bottom