How much climbing do you do each week?

How much climbing do you do each week?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
According to Strava I am averaging 2,860 / week. That is with elevation corrected on all rides as my Garmin is a tad over optimistic on elevation during rides...

I too live in Suffolk, so while there is the odd gradient, there isn't that much challenging stuff to get up. Despite that the sportive I did at the weekend managed to find every single gradient in Suffolk, so managed to increase climbing to 3,650 feet over 104 miles, which for round here is virtually unheard of!

So if I want to sound like I do a lot of climbing I should employ Strava and if I want to really impress I give the answer in feet rather than metres, got it. Going to see what it works out in centimetres now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All of the options, depending on which week you choose! (Except for the anchovies/pizza option, which is clearly not true. xx()

I do 1,400 ft on the shortest ride I do round here which is 19 miles in length. The Spring Into The Dales audax a couple of weeks back had more than 8,000 ft squeezed into 73 miles.

The thing is - I do those hills pretty slowly and using low gears so they are as easy as doing 15 mph on a flat road. Racing over them (as the TdF peloton will be doing in July) - that would be a different kettle of fish!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Pretty well all riding around here is 100ft/mile. Can be 130 if you really seek out the steep stuff, 70 if you take a run down to Cheshire. So it's mileage driven. Usually 70-80 miles a week so about 7,000-8,000ft

NorvernRob

Averaging around 80ft per mile and around 80 miles per week at the moment, so around 6000/6500ft per week over 2-3 rides. Usually a 50 miler in the Peak District on Sundays that will be 3500-5500ft of climbing, and a couple of 20 miles training runs that are much flatter but still 1000ft a time.

Not a clue, the amount of time taken to work it out could have been better spent on the bike. In the real world it is fairly meaningless, does it indicate for instance that you "climb" hundreds of tiddlers because you live in East Anglia but cycle a couple of hundred miles every week? Or do you do less than 100 miles per week but live in the Pennines? The results could well be similar but tells us nothing about the terrain , except for @Herzog , he is excused :rolleyes:.

Albert

Über Member
I average around 8500ft a week through the year, but in the summer 10,000 + is usual. I don't have much choice, because every road away from where I live is a climb of at least 300 ft and no ride from home that is over 15 miles has less than 2,000 ft of climbing.

Flat roads are a rare treat :smile:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Only had strava 3 weeks now.
But it says about 8k a week.
That's just doing some base training and 1 hill session.
Would increase when I'm back in the swing.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I live in the highlands of Norfolk so my average ride is about 90 feet or so upwards over a ride. Sometimes I break the 200' mark but only on a long long ride. I know that moving to Devon or Cornwall is going to hurt but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Top Bottom