How much difference does a lightweight bike really make.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use 2 bikes for commuting with about 4kg difference. There is a 2mph difference but much of that is probably tyres and wheels.
Genuine question (not overspill from elsewhere...)

Are we saying we can't drive the heavier bike 2mph faster by putting in more work?

SS Retro

When pedants dye (sic) they still end up dead. Just like everybody else.
Just that pedants end up dead nobbers as opposed to live ones. :whistle:

Spot the scary typo :ohmy:
Deliberate surprised it wasn't picked up by our local post inspector. ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Of course a lighter bike makes a difference. Last summer I rode the tour of High Street with a bunch of guys on full suspension mountain bikes. At the start of the ride you have to get you and your bike 3000 feet up a steep mountain, which is much easier if you can shoulder the bike rather than push. My titanium hardtail with rigid carbon fork weighs considerably less than a FS and on that terrain lack of suspension didn't put me at any disadvantage at all. By the end of the ride I still had considerably more left in the tank than the others, who were goosed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Personally, it makes very little difference. If someone is quicker than you, it's because they are fitter than you.

Yeh it's nice having a best bike, but I'd not say it makes much difference in the real world. I can still set similar 'strava' times on segments whether I'm on a fully loaded fixed gear commuter with panniers or my 9kg steel bikes (yeh not super light, but not bad for steel considering there is a 2kg frame and fork penalty - 3.5kg steel vs 1.5kg carbon).

MTB's are a bit different, but it still boils down to the rider.

So a Traban 5 won't be slower than a £1k bike. Stick some quality race tyres on and the bike will feel much livlier though.

MikeG

Guru
Of course a lighter bike makes a difference. Last summer I rode the tour of High Street with a bunch of guys on full suspension mountain bikes. At the start of the ride you have to get you and your bike 3000 feet up a steep mountain, which is much easier if you can shoulder the bike rather than push. My titanium hardtail with rigid carbon fork weighs considerably less than a FS and on that terrain lack of suspension didn't put me at any disadvantage at all. By the end of the ride I still had considerably more left in the tank than the others, who were goosed.
No disrespect intended towards you, but this post illustrates one of the great fallacies of internet arguments. Firstly, you are comparing yourself with others. You aren't comparing your bikes, unless you are absolutely identical to the other riders. The only useful comparison would be between yourself on the 2 different types of bike doing the same course against the clock (but even then you would have to make sure that the preparation was the same, the conditions were the same, and so on.......). Furthermore, you would need to only have one variable (weight) rather than 2 (weight and different suspension set-ups). Secondly, you are looking at their state, rather than their times. Plenty of people look "goosed" who aren't, and plenty who are "goosed" can look perfectly composed. You need to measure something, objectively, before you can say with the certainty you did, that "of course a lighter bike makes a difference".

You may be right of course. In fact you are right. It's just that your post doesn't demonstrate that at all.

400bhp

Guru
% difference in lightweight bike = (RW + obw) / (RW +nbw) - 1

Where:
RW = rider weight
nbw = new bike weight
obw = old bike weight

Difference for me in winter bike and summer bike is about 2.5%

Which means nothing of course.

But I like maths ;-)

400bhp

Guru
48 seconds is huge, whats that in terms of training, a few week hill training programme?

Well, it is and it isn't Peter.

It's 4% (assuming 20 mins on old bike)

Nickyboy must be 88kgs ;-)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I threw my bottles and pump in in a field before I set my PB up the Brickworks and I still didn't get the KOM :tongue:

(I didn't actually discard them for the fast time, I discarded them to make my bike feel as close as possible to how it would when riding the National HC)

Top Bottom