How much difference does going clipless make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As 50000tears says, they keep your foot in a constant, secure position. That's quite handy in the wet. I can't honestly say that I noticed an increase in speed when I went clipless, but I really like the clicky noises!:smile:

GrasB

Veteran
You'll get no immediate effect from going clipless intact you'll probably find it feeling strange & a mild performance reduction. However if you stay with it, which will train your legs to take advantage of the foot retention, you should notice that when going back to flat pedals that you're not able to spin as fast or produce as much power for very short or prolonged durations.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe almost, but is power lost on the downstroke whilst trying to pull up.

I worked out that when the pedal gets to the top it needs pushing down again.

SWSteve

Guru
I don't know if it has made a performance increase for myself, I bought them a little while into cycling - but was seeing big performance increases anyway - The big thing I have experienced whilst riding clipped is a difference in comfort. Having a secure base for your foot meant I didn't suffer from any rubbing on my foot where the cages would have been on my previous trainers, that was the main reason for me wanting to switch

earth

If I don't use any concentration I tend to mainly push down during the pedal stroke. If I think about my pedal stroke and use the push forward, push down, pull back technique then my speed increases by 1-2 mph. My cadence does not increase and I do not change gear.

If I don't use any concentration I tend to mainly push down during the pedal stroke. If I think about my pedal stroke and use the push forward, push down, pull back technique then my speed increases by 1-2 mph. My cadence does not increase and I do not change gear.

Sadly, what you have described is physically impossible. If your gearing is the same, and your cadence is the same, then your speed will not increase. Think about it.

Sadly, what you have described is physically impossible. If your gearing is the same, and your cadence is the same, then your speed will not increase. Think about it.
But wouldn't it use slightly less downward force meaning those particular muscles may get a little less tired giving more energy for faster cycling?

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

I think this post grew a life of its own, sadly mostly due to pointless bickering.

To answer the question in hand it is not a matter of opinion that the same cadence and gearing will produce the same results no matter the technique, it is a simple matter of fact, or as Dusty put it, a matter of physics. What could have been argued was that a better technique due to going clipless allowed a person to cycle at a higher cadence or a higher gear for the same effort, but that is not what was stated.

Top Bottom