How much do you drink on an audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Not enough. I have two 750ml bottles on my bike. I rarely drink more than one of them between controls, often I don't even finish the first one. I drink quite a bit at controls however to make up for it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't really ride 200s any more but when I did, I was drinking 5-6 750 mL bottles, plus a couple of Cokes/coffees. (They were hilly-ish routes, 2,500-3,000 m of ascent.)

I don't drink as much now - maybe 2 x 750 mL and a coffee/Coke on a hilly 100km route or 3 x 750 mL plus a couple of Cokes/coffees on a flattish/undulating ride of 160-175 km.

I think I really need about halfway between the 2 extremes. I'm getting back from long rides feeling a bit dehydrated.

lane

Veteran
Yesterday on my 100k - not Audax but makes no difference - 2× 750 plus can of coke. So on 200k should be roughly double which I think is probably what I do drink. I expect ideally it should be a bit more.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I forgot to add that weather conditions (obviously) are a factor - I drink 25-50% more on a hot day than a cool/warm one.

I find that I often forget to drink enough on cold days and can get dehydrated. There is an interesting article HERE.

Broadside

Guru
I forgot to add that weather conditions (obviously) are a factor - I drink 25-50% more on a hot day than a cool/warm one.

I find that I often forget to drink enough on cold days and can get dehydrated. There is an interesting article HERE.

Good link. I rode 60 miles yesterday and didn’t drink anything (stupidly) as it was cold and I just didn’t feel thirsty at all. I spent the rest of the day trying to sort out the resulting dehydration.

Redlight

I did a 200 at the weekend and got through about 1 litre of electrolyte drink and 1.5 of plain water. That felt about right at the time but I realised I was fairly dehydrated by the time I got home a couple of hours after finishing.

lane

Veteran
British cycling seem to recomend 500 to 750ml per hour. So my bottles should last me two to three hours so let's say 60km at my speed. On an Audax probably should aim to drink both bottles between controls then refill at the control.

Top Bottom