How much do you spend on securing your bike?

how much do you spend on securing your bike

• less than £10

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • between £10 and £20

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • £21-£30

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • £31-£40

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • £41-£50

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • £50+

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Hard question to answer, If using a bike just to go to a local shop then about a £10 lock and thats usually for a bike thats not worth a lot, but when on a club run none of our bikes are usually locked and theres some very expensive bikes yet not one bike has been taken maybe just luck?

lane

Veteran
Probably some rich pickings for bike thieves targeting some popular Sunday run cafes. Let's hope they don't realise.

roley poley

Über Member
They won’t be running very fast in their fancy carbon Sidi cycling shoes. The thieves will be long gone wearing their Nike Airs
one of us is always on watch and we would ride them down faster than adidas felony fliers and and and get knifed and run down by their following loot van ...I`ll just sit down for a bit now as I feel a bit wobbly ...maybe a cup of tea and a biscuit

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They won’t be running very fast in their fancy carbon Sidi cycling shoes. The thieves will be long gone wearing their Nike Airs
I rather suspect the cyclist will be riding rather than running once they get to their bike, whereas the thief will be cross-chaining and accidentally activating the brake each time they change gear - or just dropping the chain if it's my derailleur bike with the funny shifters, or popping their knees if it's one of my roadsters and I left it parked in top again.

Apologies to those who know the story, but a fixie rider left a local shop to see a thief pedalling away on his steed. He shouted "stop thief", the thief looked round and tried to stop pedalling, at which point the bike bucked him and deposited him by the feet of two passing police officers. The thief tried to argue that the rider should be ticketed for leaving an unsafe bike around to be ridden, but didn't get far with that!

icowden

Veteran
My thought is similar to others - the question is a bit general.
For example I spent money turning part of my brick lean-to into a secure cycle shed. Does that count?
Are we talking per bike? Per month? Per year?

Like many others I use a fairly bog standard lock when out and about but i don't leave the bike in places that aren't secure, unless it's for a very short period of time. Then we have the rest of the family bikes so I have enough locks to lock those up. And then there's the spare cheapo locks purchased in an emergency due to forgotten lock / key / broken key etc..

Oxford Dave

I use the ground anchor and heavy chain/padlock I bought for my Harley Davidson a few years ago. No-one nicked either of my Harleys, so hopefully, the bicycle currently in the garage, which cost about 1% of my first Harley, should stay put!

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I usually ride a fixie, and not many thieving junkies will manage the first corner. Not out here in the provinces, anyway, where hipsters are in short supply.

I’m a bit like that with my recumbent. Most thieves wouldn’t know where to start, would quickly fall off if they did try riding it. Most of them probably think it’s for disabled people. I’m a bit more relaxed about locking it up outside a shop in a village than my upright bikes.

roley poley

Über Member
leeds city railway station has reopened its cycle point with evans cycles again ,a covered staffed cycle lock, up it used to be 1.50 a day for storage .. wonder if my part used booklet of day tickets will still be valid

vickster

Legendary Member
I spent around £750 having an Asgard fitted in the garden. Rather cheaper than extending the house :okay:

Top Bottom