How much does dumping car tyres save you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4940537, member: 9609"]I was on the grass this year and we were filling pits, sheeting then weighting it down with tyres - hateful things, hottest weather of the year and was having to drag these things up the mountain, they're full of green slimy stinky water and no matter how many times you flip the F'in things over when you pick them up to carry them, about half a bucket of the stinky slime sloshes out and fills your boots up. Have been given a great tip for next year - drill holes in the bottom of your boots so the water can drain back out, stops trench foot apparently[/QUOTE]
What about drilling holes in the tyres?

classic33

Leg End Member
They hold down the tarpaulin with bales?
Smaller square bales I've used, the larger round ones have to be placed as the work progresses.

No need to pay drivers to bring it in, or people in the pits, just the three drivers and tractors.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4940547, member: 9609"]err ....... don't know

it was a tip from a irish trucker who used to do the grass as a lad

come to think of it - thousands of tyres one pair of boots quick jobs are the best, must remember to take them off first though :wacko:[/QUOTE]
Need to be 1 inch holes at least, if you decide to drill the tyres. The muck build up can soon block anything smaller

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Folk have commented on the tyres on this Suzuki i've bought. "Look at the tread on 'em", they say. They are very deep. Yokohama is the make. A bit better i hope than the eastern European remoulds i used to buy.:unsure:

Drago

Legendary Member
That's better than cross piles.

Our tip takes car tyres for free, up to 4 per punter. In fact, most of the crap dumped on the verge is taken for free at the tip.

Likewise,
Whenever I've had tyres on the bike changed I call in at the tip on the way home, but I walk in with them as I don't want to risk a screw in the new ones!

Drago

Legendary Member
If I had to pay money to dispose of car tyres they'd get chopped up and binned.

I used to live half a mile away, which put me in a different council area. They'd take anything away for free, just ring them and tell them where you'd left it and they'd come get it within a few days. As a consequence fly tipping was unknown.

Where I am now its £20 an item, and then the Carncil wonder why so much s***e gets dumped at the roadside.

classic33

Leg End Member
If I had to pay money to dispose of car tyres they'd get chopped up and binned.

I used to live half a mile away, which put me in a different council area. They'd take anything away for free, just ring them and tell them where you'd left it and they'd come get it within a few days. As a consequence fly tipping was unknown.

Where I am now its £20 an item, and then the Carncil wonder why so much s***e gets dumped at the roadside.
If you want them to collect, it's £25 now. Gone up from £15, two years ago.

Top Bottom