How much does dumping car tyres save you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If done right, it should be recycled. There was a fee for disposal placed on the bale wrapping.
Like there is or tyres?

Drilling tyres will be a serious struggle to get through the steel wire layer, unless you go through the sidewall. Tugs I work on use old aircraft tyres as they don't have any steel in them, mostly due to the very minor risk of causing sparks when in contact with oil terminals but it makes they a lot easier to drill.

classic33

Leg End Member
Like there is or tyres?

Drilling tyres will be a serious struggle to get through the steel wire layer, unless you go through the sidewall. Tugs I work on use old aircraft tyres as they don't have any steel in them, mostly due to the very minor risk of causing sparks when in contact with oil terminals but it makes they a lot easier to drill.
Pre-dates the recycling fee on tyres.

Cost per bale for plastic used less than 50p.

Last edited:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Way back in my schooldays, old car tyres were sought after to use as bowlers (remember them ?) and we would race up and down the street with them. On day one ran away and down a hill, crossed a busy road at the bottom where it then hit a kerb-stone which caused the tyre to become airborne before crashing clean through the window of a pub at the bottom of the hill. We considered asking for our tyre back but we thought better of it.

postman

Legendary Member
Way back in my schooldays, old car tyres were sought after to use as bowlers (remember them ?) and we would race up and down the street with them. On day one ran away and down a hill, crossed a busy road at the bottom where it then hit a kerb-stone which caused the tyre to become airborne before crashing clean through the window of a pub at the bottom of the hill. We considered asking for our tyre back but we thought better of it.

They were goodyears.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Funny this thread should be bumped. Reminded me about an article I read about company who think they have made some kind of device that can turn them into useful hydrogen and energy, or something like that. Damned if I can remember their name now but it sounds rather cool if true.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Funny this thread should be bumped. Reminded me about an article I read about company who think they have made some kind of device that can turn them into useful hydrogen and energy, or something like that. Damned if I can remember their name now but it sounds rather cool if true.

TurningtyresintohydrogenandenergyRus ?

Top Bottom